scribben

Jul 9, 2017
northern ky
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact....... ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relic unknown.jpg
please help note the four eagleson it one per side no real luck in identification resembles a british neck stock buckle,but i cant find anything in us to match

We need something by it to show the size.
gave it to a friend to clean it some however he is measuring it for me. its about 2 1/2 by 4" roughly will have a few more pictures soon .

Upvote 0
Cool find. It does look like late 18th - early 19th C US military or militia.

I've never seen anything like it. I can see some similarity to the neck stock buckles, though it seems rather light weight for a buckle.

Maybe a strap adjuster of some sort? From a shako or a haversack? :dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Drum, Fife, Bugle, Color guard kind of stuff, ceremonial dress? Dunno, my only thoughts. It's cool though.

Upvote 0
Drum, Fife, Bugle, Color guard kind of stuff, ceremonial dress? Dunno, my only thoughts. It's cool though.

Not field music related to my eye. My son and I are American Civil War field musician re-enactors (although I believe this relic to be older than CW) and have attended multiple sessions of the National Civil War Field Music School. This item doesn't look like anything I've ever seen or used in my experience on the field.

Upvote 0
I agree, does seem older than CW, there are some good videos on Youtube regarding War of 1812 artifacts from the Native American, American, and British perspectives. I saw some stuff that looked similar to that piece but not identical.

Upvote 0
so if i cant find a answer here. what should i do next ?

Upvote 0
I agree with NOLA_Ken, a pre-civil-war sash buckle. Due to being marked with the US Federal Eagle & Shield in FOUR places on the front (which I've never seen done on anything else), I think it is very unlikely to be a "military issue" buckle... but rather, made for sale to wealthy officers for use with a Dress Uniform sash, and perhaps also for "patriotic" citizens.

Upvote 0
I agree with NOLA_Ken, a pre-civil-war sash buckle. Due to being marked with the US Federal Eagle & Shield in FOUR places on the front (which I've never seen done on anything else), I think it is very unlikely to be a "military issue" buckle... but rather, made for sale to wealthy officers for use with a Dress Uniform sash, and perhaps also for "patriotic" citizens.

A private purchase item would definitely explain not being able to find a match anywhere. It's a cool relic for sure. Is there any history on the location you found it that could help explain how it may have gotten there? Former home of a military officer or anything of that sort?

Upvote 0
found on a 1870 farm house bayckyard. southern indiana the surrounding area was settled early 1800's-- 1802 to be exact

Upvote 0
not really current owner was told the people who lived there hid money in the yard.... bet no one has heard that story before

Upvote 0
Lot of conflict between Natives and Settlers in those parts, I heard tell that Col Boone and his boys would come into those parts from Kentucky. Mad Anthony Wayne stomped there as well, and a lot of those fellas that served during those campaigns were given large tracts of land and had many counties named after them. Heck most of the counties in Kentucky were named after fellas who served and died during the War of 1812. Notably 2nd Battle of River Raisin/Frenchtown. If General Winchester hadn't been a nancy those Kentucky boys would have earned glory in battle, instead they were scalped and force marched up to Fort Malden in Ontario

Upvote 0

Attachments

• eagle.png
    eagle.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a belt adjuster or belt slide, which does look military related...cool find.

SS

Upvote 0
Here is an adjustment strap buckle/slide found by Breezie patent 1868. I think its broken. Not sure what the patent is for.

Attachments

• breezie.jpg
    breezie.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 69
  • relic unknown.jpg
    relic unknown.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions