Update on Flying eagle found earlier this year. Just got it back from ICG!!!!!

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25

Attachments

• P1010736[1].jpg
    P1010736[1].jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,371
  • P1010754[1].jpg
    P1010754[1].jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,375
  • P1010756[2].jpg
    P1010756[2].jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,376
  • P1010747[2].jpg
    P1010747[2].jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,377
  • P1010750[1].jpg
    P1010750[1].jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,307
  • P1010752[1].jpg
    P1010752[1].jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,314
Upvote 0
Congratulations, can I ask what it cost to have them graded?

seger98 said:
I'd like to know as well? I found a pretty nice 14D last weekend

Re: Update on Flying eagle found earlier this year. Just got it back from ICG!!

Xraywolf said:
seger98 said:

http://www.icgcoin.com/FeesandServices/tabid/504/Default.aspx

I'd go with PCGS though, thats about all you ever see at coin shows.
There are a dozen other grading outfits, but if no one respects the slab, you are throwing $$ down the toilet.

http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml

ICG is respected as one of the big 4 grading companies. Yes, PCGS is still the best, but ICG coins still demand a big premium and are a very reputable.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Goes4ever and Seger98, the link that Xraywolf posted has all the info you need. ICG is a great company, as I said before, they are one of the top 4.

I didn't mean to knock them, but I guess I did by implication.
I base what I said solely on what I see at coin shows, I go to alot of coin shows, and PCGS is about all you see.
That must stand for something, but does not mean that there are no other grading outfits worthy of consideration.

I like ICG as well, and if i believe they just surpassed NGC for the #2 spot right below PCGS, one great thing about ICG is that they only "GRADE" Coins, where as PCGS and correct me if im wrong, they sell coins that they grade straight from the company as well. Either way, 2 great coin grading companies. Happy Dirt Fishing.

-Dan

Xraywolf said:
seger98 said:

http://www.icgcoin.com/FeesandServices/tabid/504/Default.aspx

I'd go with PCGS though, thats about all you ever see at coin shows.
There are a dozen other grading outfits, but if no one respects the slab, you are throwing $$ down the toilet.

http://www.pcgs.com/grading_list.chtml
Correct me if I'm wrong,but I am pretty sure PCGS don't grade dug coins...

PCGS also authenticates the coin as well as grading it. The price is more, however.

I know I will be in the minority here, but I cannot see paying those prices for a coin that probably wont sell for a lot more than you pay to have them graded...
$100 for a $500 coin, sure... But $100 for a $150 coin is ludicris imho....
Example... I sold a Barber silver dollar for $23.00 last week... Not a key date.. If I paid the pro's to grade it, how much would I have gotten for it?? Surely would have paid someone to take it off my hands.. No thanks..

Very nice find though..

Xraywolf said:
I didn't mean to knock them, but I guess I did by implication.
I base what I said solely on what I see at coin shows, I go to alot of coin shows, and PCGS is about all you see.
That must stand for something, but does not mean that there are no other grading outfits worthy of consideration.

No worries. I know you didn't knock them. I was just providing more info on ICG.

Silver Surfer said:
I know I will be in the minority here, but I cannot see paying those prices for a coin that probably wont sell for a lot more than you pay to have them graded...
$100 for a $500 coin, sure... But $100 for a $150 coin is ludicris imho....
Example... I sold a Barber silver dollar for $23.00 last week... Not a key date.. If I paid the pro's to grade it, how much would I have gotten for it?? Surely would have paid someone to take it off my hands.. No thanks..

Very nice find though..

I paid 15.00 a coin for thier 21 day service. Well worth it to me. I wouldnt pay 100.00 for thier 1 day service either unless it was a valuable/rare coin. I agree with you about that.

Well and here are a couple of thoughts on this issue also, first off does the slab end up getting you more money for the coin? I mean is there some premium for it being slabbed and graded, and also has anyone ever done a "Dateline" type test where they send out the same coin to the different grading services to see how consistant they are? just curious here.

Chuck.

Personally coming from this side of the pond, I see no point in all of this. UK coins are rarely if ever 'slabbed', very few collectors over here care. Funny how big it is in the US. Interesting debate about why this has come about :dontknow: (other than the obivious faking issue).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back