Update on Colombia and the San José

From the article:

"The British wanted to seize the ship and its treasure, but fired a cannonball into the San José’s powder magazines by mistake. The ship blew up and sank within minutes."

There's been some galactic screw up's throughout history, and this one has to make the top five. I can only imagine how the fellow that aimed and fired that cannon felt....
dohh.jpg

From the article:

"“The treasure of the San José should remain at the bottom of the sea, along with the human remains of the 600 crew members who died there,” he says. “The treasure is part of the archaeological context, and as such has no commercial value. Its value is strictly scientific.”

I believe some would disagree with this... :laughing7:

Last edited:
From the article:

"The British wanted to seize the ship and its treasure, but fired a cannonball into the San José’s powder magazines by mistake. The ship blew up and sank within minutes."

There's been some galactic screw up's throughout history, and this one has to make the top five. I can only imagine how the fellow that aimed and fired that cannon felt....View attachment 2172803

From the article:

"“The treasure of the San José should remain at the bottom of the sea, along with the human remains of the 600 crew members who died there,” he says. “The treasure is part of the archaeological context, and as such has no commercial value. Its value is strictly scientific.”

I believe some would disagree with this... :laughing7:
Exactly the same thing that happened to the Mercedes:
“A single shot from HMS Amphion, commanded by Samuel Sutton, hit the ship's magazine, causing an explosion that sank the ship.” - Wikipedia.
The San Jose is looking more like the Holy Grail of litigation than the Holy Grail of shipwrecks, the lawyers being the only parties guaranteed to make any money out of this. This is also exactly what happened with the Mercedes. If history were to repeat exactly, Spain would wind up with the treasure, but I think Colombia will keep it.

This is another biased article written in favor of Archies. First of all Archies dig up graves and recover human remains on a regular basis. Archies claim in-situ just to create job security so that they can "manage the site". Putting a picture of a deep sea dive in the article just shows how stupid and poorly written the article is. The wreck is beyond diving depth. Also Spain put out a decree to all Captains to burn the ship, sink the ship, or throw all the treasure overboard so that it wouldn't fall into any pirate, privateer or other countries hands. So there is no evidence that says the Caption didn't blow up the ship so the British wouldn't get the treasure. This decree was put out by Spain after Sir Francis Drake plundered the west coast of North and South America in his 1577 to 1580 cruise around the world. Also this material. for this article mostly came from the book San Jose 1708 written by Rahn Phillips which was about 70 pages into the book before it even mentioned the San Jose. Too bad the BBC doesn't have an experienced treasure hunter on retainer to edit articles like this for technical correctness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back