Update: 4th Half Cent from the Steppe Farm...1806

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes, Paco and I went out in search of old American half cents. At about 5:30 p.m., Paco told me that Mrs. Steppe gave him a call and stated, "You better come and detect the field. The corn is getting high." So, it being 6 p.m (Eastern time), Paco decided to call, "Dude, you want to give it a go?" I stated, "Even though I just took a bath, I am ready!"

So, we ventured on a quest for some coppas. We detected the area where I found my Drrraaaped Buuusssst, and in 10 minutes, we were both yelping, "Button!" After about an hour, I stated, "Dude, there has to be another coppa here!"

Then, while we were loafing to the vehicle, at about 8:30, I heard Paco yell, about 40 yards away, "Hhhhaaallllfffff Ceeennnttt!" After hearing those two words, I sprinted to his side in about 4.25 seconds. He handed me the coin and I stated, "Dude, dude, duuuuuuuuuddde, I definitely give you a heeeelllll yeeeaaahhh!" After looking at the coin, I started to detect the next row down from him and I soon got a nice mid-tone...half penny reading...that pinpointed at 1". I plucked some soil out and saw the object, thinking it was another half cent (because it was the same size), I let out a, "OOooOhhhhh!" Then, that was when I saw that it had a shank....DANG! Paco started to laugh hysterically, stating, "That sounded a little orgasmic." :D This is what makes this hobby so great! hehehe

So, our day ended soon after....I found 3 buttons and a Wheat penny, while Paco found 2 buttons and the Draped.

All relics were found on private property with total consent from the landowners. :D

Upvote 0
Re: 4th Half Cent from the Steppe Farm

Cool find! I've never seen one, except in pictures; they were still bigger than modern cents, right?

The only half cents I will find are the ones kids have taken a licoln and tinsnipped em down the middle. If I count those, I think I am slightly ahead of your count ::)

You guys have a great site there and I hope it yeilds ya some more nice colonials soon. You be rockin buddy, keep it up. Good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

Sounds like an exciting hunt!

You'll get the next one, Kirk! I love your descriptive detail. E.G. (4.25 second sprint) ect...

You dudes hunt for some exotic coinage! :D

Ridley

What no wilver?

Great job to have permission on a site like that is a dream come true....

Don't give up that site for a while....

We need clarification...hehehehehe :-* :-* :-*

Kirk,
I want to be sure reading your post correctly.
Paco has 1/2 cents, and you got no cents? ;D
Any pictures of the buttons? Any idea of the age of them?
You'll get em' next time.
I'll be following behind Ridley tomorrow digging up the leftovers from his DFX and Minelab. We're hitting an old CW area again.
Maybe he should give me a headstart? ::)
Have a good w/end.
-MM-

Great story Kirk... Sounds like a sweet spot... Keep em commin...

HH Robert

Ridley said:
Sounds like an exciting hunt!

You'll get the next one, Kirk! I love your descriptive detail. E.G. (4.25 second sprint) ect...

You dudes hunt for some exotic coinage! :D

Ridley

Thanks, dude, I got the last 4 from that field. I was happy for my buddy, Paco. "I am just a sexy, exotic manly man." (stated in a not so manly voice)

Boobydoo said:
The only half cents I will find are the ones kids have taken a licoln and tinsnipped em down the middle. If I count those, I think I am slightly ahead of your count ::)

You guys have a great site there and I hope it yeilds ya some more nice colonials soon. You be rockin buddy, keep it up. Good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

And mine consist of two year or three year old zincs, corroded by the harsh ground here. I find many in that condition.
ugh

~Nash~

ModernMiner said:
Kirk,
I want to be sure reading your post correctly.
Paco has 1/2 cents, and you got no cents? ;D
Any pictures of the buttons? Any idea of the age of them?
You'll get em' next time.
I'll be following behind Ridley tomorrow digging up the leftovers from his DFX and Minelab. We're hitting an old CW area again.
Maybe he should give me a headstart? ::)
Have a good w/end.
-MM-

Hahaha, I do have some "cents." I still can't believe how much this field is producing. Most likely, if it is a coin, it will be a half cent. Paco did some awesome rasearch on this site. I owe it all to him. Once again, it was a thrill to see my good friend find this old piece of history. No hard feelings at all! hehehe

Give my congratulatory remarks to Paco for me. ;D

What condition is the coin in? Any date?

I have to find one of those before my MDing career is complete.

Bob

Mirage, most likely it is a copper slug. The last half cent and large copper were also slugs...hehehehe.

Mirage said:
Give my congratulatory remarks to Paco for me. ;D

What condition is the coin in? Any date?

I have to find one of those before my MDing career is complete.

Bob

Mirage bud, thanks for the interest. In the field, I saw the reverse wreath. The coin probably doesn't have a date, but my good friend, Paco, will work his magic on it.

Dude, you will find some coppas this year. I have faith in you! ;)

zoyboy said:
Mirage, most likely it is a copper slug. The last half cent and large copper were also slugs...hehehehe.

Is jealousy overwhelming thee? hehehe So far, Paco's site is kicking yo a$$! It is 8-7! You better get back to Zoyncy! :-*

IT IS AN 1806! PACO JUST CALLED, "DUDE, IT IS AN 1806!"

SO, 3 DRAPED OUT OF THIS LITTLE SITE!

1806!!!!!!!! Congrats to Paco.
What a find!
-MM-

Our goal, as a small club, should be 50 coppers by December 31; we are at 24 now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back