Unusual Type of Post For Me: Beautiful relic found among clutter... at junk shop

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure if this violates the rules, as I did not metal detect this find, but I did find it today!
At a junk shop, I saw a shelf with various decorative items, and a few old things such as a rusty late 1800's axe head (which was priced at $35 I think), a 1920's padlock, and some other various iron things from the 1800's. Anyways, there sitting next to the axe head was something that amazed me. An item near the top of my colonial artifact bucket list, a complete rat tail pewter spoon. The price was 12 dollars, but the things on that shelf were 30% off, so I got it for $8.40! I found a fragment of a rat tail spoon at a cellar hole once, probably one of my favorite spoon pieces. Since then I have wanted a complete one. It may not be as cool is metal detecting one, but I am still thrilled, and pewter would never come out of the ground in this condition.

Apparently mine is from circa 1710, I can't believe I got an item that old at this shop!
http://www.pewterbank.com/Spoons_..articles..13.pdf

spoon.pngDSC_0820.JPGDSC_0821.JPGDSC_0822.JPGDSC_0823.JPG

Upvote 15
Congrats, you still found it

Thanks, I would say that finding it for such a low price among random items is almost just as good as digging it! What really matters to me is that it is proudly in my colonial artifacts collection, on display in the study room. I only have one other complete pewter spoon, it is in great shape for being dug, and dates from the early 1800's with a maker's mark. I still never thought that I would get a complete rat tail pewter spoon in my collection, let alone one this nice! I doubt I would dig one that was still shiny ever, or even just a complete one!

Last edited:
A find is a find never mind the kind!

Congratulations on the Bucket lister!

good eye, classic shape

It’s nice when you find something you really wanted! Congratulations on your rat tail pewter spoon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back