Unusual piece of stone found in Arkansas.

S

Smee

My wife paints rocks, unusual rocks which she sees the shapes of animals in. A friend of hers, an elderly lady, will pick up any rock she thinks is interesting and give it to my wife to paint. While she doesn't understand the concept, today she gave my wife a rock that I find amazing. This rock appears to have been broken off the corner of some sort of larger item made of stone. The rock measures 1 7/8" long by 1/2" thick by 7/8" tall. There is some more carving on the top, but I didn't get a picture of it. What is amazing is the writing along the edge. Take a look, and hopefully someone will recognize what language this is. I did find what appear to be two Hebrew characters that I am familiar with, but I really don't think the writing is Hebrew. Any ideas?

chalkedrock01.jpg

The rock has a carved area just above the lettering, and at the far right end there is a definite corner with the text continuing to wrap. The rock was broken off of something.

I was hoping to learn something about this rock's carvings, and what it would be doing on the ground in Arkansas. I seriously doubt it is Native American as most of us did not have a written alphabet.

One end is the anaconda. The side says, Knights of lifeand priest of the eagle of Christ king of Israel . There is so much on it. I think it's templar.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Some how it looks like a piece of really high heat fired ceramic pottery to me that's been washed by water erosion in a river over time :dontknow:. What ever the markings are I can't wrap my head around how that could have been caused by an action of natural causes?. Sure looks like a form of man made writing to me. Send the info with a picture to Scott Wolter of the America unearthed show. I'd love to see his take on it.

Upvote 0
This post is nine and a half years old. I agree with Tamrock, when first viewing the "rock" it looked like broke and water smoothed pottery, but at this late date I doubt we'll find out for sure.

Upvote 0
I always find out after the fact on some of these old posts I replied to are pretty old. All I see is they're on the the top. This one I've never read before. I guess I better start reading the labels on these medicin bottle before I swallow what inside. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
Wow am I late to the game here...being that I live in Arkansas, i wish someone might she'd some light on what was determined regarding this piece!

I thought about this old post today (after looking at a post in Treasure Marks and Signs).

I remember being there when Smee tried to get an old man from China to take a look at pictures of the stone. He handed the pictures to his assistant and she brought them to him. A few minutes later, he sent her to request that she bring him the stone, but we could not be present while he examined it, so it was a no go. That's the last time I remember being around that stone.

Talked with Smee's wife about this stone recently. I'm not sure why, but she told me the stone is at the bottom of the Ouachita River just south of where the Ouachita takes in the Saline River near Crossett, Arkansas.

Lots of trouble to go through for a stone carved by worms.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back