• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 679
  • Picture 007 (2).jpg
    Picture 007 (2).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 672
Re: Unusual Old Thing

Montana Jim said:
Do you think that is leather or a wick between the screws in the last pic?

This is a cool whatsit!
It's a piece of wood . It looks like somthing broke off that was held there .

Upvote 0

Montana Jim said:
Considering your location... do you think it's ship/navigational related?
I'm not sure - I have alot of nautical stuff , sextant , octant , compasses , lanterns , etc. but this does not seem to fit into any of those categories .

Upvote 0

marine.jpg

Just a wild a__ guess, but perhaps it is part of an old style glass tube barometer. The image above is all brass.

The lower feature on yours seems to be a clamp with a bolt and knurled thumb knobs on either side, which may have been a catch for a leather strop on the tube to keep it from swinging wildly in rough seas??? (36" of mercury is one heck of a club).

Just a guess.

Upvote 0

It does look lampish, but he said the wick looking thing is wood. It is an odd piece, I look forward to someone finding the answer, I am blank.

Upvote 0

Mojjax, do you in fact have anything in your possession that CAN be identified?! :D
Just having fun, as I always enjoy your posts! They keep us all thinking. :)

Upvote 0

Hey now caveman I am pretty sure we got this one nailed, and that pretty much solved the other KG pin. So there mister. ;)

Upvote 0

is the bottom hollow? like on an oil lamp? can the thumbscrew part be unscrewed or removed? I was gonna say lamp too but if the top is lined with wood that would make the lamp part a bit hard to use.

Upvote 0

I think Plainsman is on the right track. The brass tube looks like an adjustable chamber to intensify a flame from the wick below. The old flame powered fans, which are few and far between, had a very similar set up.

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Vrent said:
is the bottom hollow? like on an oil lamp? can the thumbscrew part be unscrewed or removed? I was gonna say lamp too but if the top is lined with wood that would make the lamp part a bit hard to use.
The bottom is solid wood . I was able to remove the thumbscrew part from it's hole . I undid the screws and took the little piece of wood out . Seems like a lamp would have a place for fuel or an electric cord ?

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0

Hi all,

I see an old style bunsen burner. The metal sleeve could keep from burning the wood and hold the heat.
The wick could be wood wrapped with a swab at the top. Kind of like torches. Just another thought?

Upvote 0

I keep thinking... wood + flame/burner/fire = BAD

It's another type of device... I like the barometer idea much better...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back