• cubcadet 751.jpg
    cubcadet 751.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 82
  • cubcadet 756.jpg
    cubcadet 756.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 63
The grip looks like bake lite and the pins look like nickel silver

Upvote 0
Many old meat carving knives have a similar blade shape.
Unlike yours though many are small in the tang where they enter handle vs your picture's full tang, even through the handle offering greater strength.
The spine seems to stand proud at the handle on top front..not common on commercial work and was possibly left for delicate feel..or scales and tang were not ground/filed to a uniform level for some other reason.
If workman ship alone the reason, it does not match original knife's fitment I would wager.

File cuts across that high area could have been used for a textured grip or decoration but the maker had their reason for it's current form.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the member above. It looks like a re gripped knife. The blade has some different file marks on grip than what the tang has. When I first looked at this knife it reminded me of the knives in a Confederate camp scene in lithograph. Then I found the very style of blade on an original bowie knife. The blade shows age and the grips do not. I added some attachments.

Attachments

• cubcadet 779.jpg
    cubcadet 779.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 55
  • cubcadet 751.jpg
    cubcadet 751.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 51
  • cubcadet 778.jpg
    cubcadet 778.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
Congrats on your finds!

It's good old high carbon steel ,what ever it's origins.
Cleaned after each use right away and not allowed to soak in liquid it will give many years of faithful service yet.
Them carbon knives been getting scarcer as prices have gone up from 25 cents to a dollar, to prices today that suggest I'm not the only one keepin an eye out for them.
Not like I need any more though....
A few strokes to straighten an edge regular, and a rare sharpening (if I can keep them cared for from the girlfriend's almost not delicate treatment. Guess I'm possessive of them?) keeps them happy.
Once in a while groups get rotated from storage to knife blocks so none feel abandon too long.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back