Unusual Gold Ring - Looks Ancient

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug up this unusual gold ring. It is solid gold. Several stones are missing. The construction looks very old to me. The top portion of the ring is comprised of a hammered concave disc - the hammer blows are still visible. It is topped with tiered a ring of bezels and center bezel. A few stones are still in place and they look to be flat, unfaceted garnets and one partially cabbed garnet. The band is made of three narrow, hammered gold strips. I'm thinking Georgian at the latest - but also has that ancient quality to it. Being found here in the US (NJ), I guess I have to error on the side of not-ancient (unless somebody brought it over and lost it!). I'd lover your thoughts. Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    832.7 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 22
I really do like it. It does look hand fashioned, and it does seem to have a very old look or style. New Jersey has had much history on the East Coast. I believe there is a story behind it, if only it could talk.

Dug up this unusual gold ring. It is solid gold. Several stones are missing. The construction looks very old to me. The top portion of the ring is comprised of a hammered concave disc - the hammer blows are still visible. It is topped with tiered a ring of bezels and center bezel. A few stones are still in place and they look to be flat, unfaceted garnets and one partially cabbed garnet. The band is made of three narrow, hammered gold strips. I'm thinking Georgian at the latest - but also has that ancient quality to it. Being found here in the US (NJ), I guess I have to error on the side of not-ancient (unless somebody brought it over and lost it!). I'd lover your thoughts. Thanks very much in advance.
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

hall marks.... even worn ones?
Unfortunately not. At the base of the top part - the bottom of the bowl, I originally thought there was a diamond shaped lozenge of the type I usually see on 19th and early 20th century French pieces but it is sadly just a hole. My instinct is that it predates modern hallmarks and/or was made by someone who did not have access to marking tools or simply chose not to use them. I make a fair amount of gold jewelry and often elect not to mark it for convenience sake. If it helps, the ring is roughly 70% gold 10% silver and 20% copper. Not an especially common alloy best I can tell. But maybe informative to someone with familiarity with ancient alloys.

Congratulations on finding a gold ring!
Looks like a high school jewelry class made by a student ring to me.
I had roughly the same thought - very hard for me to tell amateurish from ancient. Though, the top bezels would seem to be complicated to construct without substantially experience.

Doesn’t look ancient to me but the style and method of construction (simply finished gems, rub over settings, concave bezel disc) do look right for a Georgian cluster/flower ring. It is quite crudely made though and it could be either period Georgian or a handmade modern ring in the Georgian style.

Definitely has some age... as far as ancient... hard to tell... mine cut stones are indicative to it being an older piece.. but how old... ehhhhh

Might wanna go back to the hole with sifter and try to locate those stones.... i would.

Definitely has some age... as far as ancient... hard to tell... mine cut stones are indicative to it being an older piece.. but how old... ehhhhh

Might wanna go back to the hole with sifter and try to locate those stones.... i would.
Use a cheapo flour sifter type ... pick one up cheap at Wally World or Dollar Stores perhaps.
The bigger stone might be a few $$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back