Unusual for Germany find

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
I am MDing about 2 years in Germany, and was always wondering that guys find here lots of US coins - ok it is true for US base areas, we had none of them in my surrounding.
But last Sunday I walked through the field without detector and found this:

1cent1857_us.jpg

You never know what is coming out :)

HH

Sand

Upvote 0
Thats different :)

Awesome find by any standards. Only goes to show you us MDers always keep our eyes open and trained for the unusual finds.
I would go back there with the detector to see what is under the ground.
HH Roy

VERY strange find....Ausgezeichnet!!!!

That's a very rare find in the U.S., Let alone in Germany!

I'm very curious as to how it came to be in Germany. Perhaps someone who went to live in the US didn't have a good time of it and returned home?

Oh my gosh! :o What a find, Sand! :o Wouldn't you love to know the story about how that coin got there.

Fantastic find! Congrats! Nana :)

Very nice find. Flying eagle cents are rare. I'd love to find one.

I can only assume that this coin came to the field together with all military rubbish shortly after WW2. It is supported by state of the coin, it is similar to other copper coins there - relatively fresh unlike most of the found coins dated 1800s here. I have already found there Chinese coin from the same time, some austrians, and all are in the better state than usual finds dated 1800s.

ScrewcapRoy said:
I would go back there with the detector to see what is under the ground.
HH Roy

It is very very problematic - concentration of metal there is so high that even with small coil I get constant signals - I should probably use sieve rather then detector :)

Awesome find Sand, congrats! Only made for 3 years and worth a few $$$ even in just good condition. HH, Mike

Nice find Sand,large amount of Germans migrated to North American and Australia between 1830-1880.The new world didn,t suit some and they became home sick.More than half of germans that came to Australia in the gold rush of 1851-1880 returned home.I have few American coins here but not quite as old as that.The americans seem to come and go too.got a couple of old german silver too.

tinpan

Nice flying eagle cent! great find anywhere.

Ken

??? Now that's a great find in an unusual place. But then again it is a flying Eagle! Maybe she was migrating and flew a little off course. hehe
HH

Desertfox

A rare find and a good one, but many Germans traveled to the US to maybe live or visit relatives and that is a possibility how that great coin arrived. Also soldiers have been there on and off for a long time and it could have been a good luck piece or a coin in change. My father spent Indian Head cents as a child in the 30's-40's!!

romeo-1 said:
A rare find in the US a very rare find in Germany I am sure!!!

Can't be too rare here, I have 3!

But never a Merc dime. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back