Unkown Old Pistol

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad found this really old pistol along a river where he fishes. He finds all sorts of old coins, artifacts and arrow heads in the same area. Here are a couple of pics of the pistol. I know it is a percussion cap pistol, probably from the early 1800's. If anyone could help me possibly identifying the make and model that would be great. Thank you.

20141128_151539.jpg

20141128_151711.jpg

20141128_151747.jpg

20141128_151454.jpg

No idea but I would take some steps to preserve it or likely it will become a pile of rusty metal pieces. Iron artifacts look good for a while after recovery but are no longer stable, and without intervention they will only deteriorate more and more. That is a nice one, and I would hate to see it fall apart.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the dream spot to detect!
Aquachigger has a good youtube video showing how to preserve using hot wax method!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It looks to be a spur trigger pistol?????????????????/vanzutphen

Upvote 0
Percussion caps were invented in 1836, and weren't instantly popular, and I would expect your gun is from after 1840, to perhaps the 1860's. That's a guess, it certainly might date later than that. Generally a box lock muzzle loading pistol that size and style, is called a muff pistol. Ladies used a hand warmer called a "muff," and the self defense pistol fit right in the muff. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
2A.jpgThere is ample space in there to hide one or two small pistols.
The next photo is of a box lock muff pistol.
1.jpg
The genteel lady, or even the high falootin gentleman that might be carrying a hideout gun wasn't expected to load the gun themselves. The gun was strictly self defense, and they didn't target practice with them. Once a month you stopped by the local gunsmith or gun store, and you would fire your pistol into a barrel, then the gunsmith would clean it, and loaded it for you, and you were good for another month, and potentially your only practice was shooting into a barrel once a month. In the photo of the pistol, note the lug under the barrel. That was for a wrench to unscrew the barrel, and essentially it was a breech loader, and the barrel had a chamber, in which a slightly over sized ball was placed first, then the powder, and the barrel screwed back on, making it shoot much harder than a muzzle loader. A muzzle loading pistol would be treated the same, and was sold without a ramrod because the owner wasn't expected to load it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Telling exactly what it is at this time isn't possible but you will have a much easier job of identifying it after it has been cleaned. BosnMate and Breezie have it nailed as close as can be at this time :)

Upvote 0
Actually your find is fairly distinctive. Bos'nMate gave you a good run down.

Your has a distinctive frame angle down into the grip and the barrel appears to be hex to round (if I am seeing it right - hard to tell). That might have looked like this.

156285.jpg

But here's the sad part - even the one shown is "make unknown" because places like Liege in Belgium turned out gozillions of these and did not mark them. No manufacturer & no serial.

Upvote 0
Actually your find is fairly distinctive. Bos'nMate gave you a good run down.

Your has a distinctive frame angle down into the grip and the barrel appears to be hex to round (if I am seeing it right - hard to tell). That might have looked like this.

View attachment 1086641

But here's the sad part - even the one shown is "make unknown" because places like Liege in Belgium turned out gozillions of these and did not mark them. No manufacturer & no serial.

That looks like a match to me! Thanks! I will show my dad. I will talk to him about further preserving it as well.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back