Jul 20, 2007
Falmouth, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Attachments

• jspn_HPIM0657.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0657.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 541
yours is a "horse lamer" --there were horse lamers and also anti infantry types of caltrops (they were more nail like ) used in the civil war--- (these wicked devils have been around in various forms since the middle ages-- the french resistance even used home made type ones made from nails to stop nazi vehicles when setting up "ambushes" in WW2 to flatten tires) -- no fun at all for horses or folks to step on -- think of running toward a enemy line across a feild sown with these nail / spike type caltrops in it --not my idea of fun --you can't afford look "down" because you have to "see" whos shooting at you to avoid getting shot and to shoot back at them -- so you run "blindly" forward till you step on one the caltrops maiming yourself and making you a sitting duck -- Ivan

Upvote 0
I need me a handful of those......roll some under the tires of that aggressive driver that just cut you off..smile and wave "Have a nice day".... :D

Upvote 0
Some 'modern' uses of caltrops:

Caltrops have been used at times during labor strikes and other disputes. Such devices were used by some to destroy the tires of management and replacement workers.

Caltrops were used in the Vietnam War, sometimes with poison or manure on the points.

Because of the prevalence of caltrops during the Caterpillar strike of the mid-1990s, the state of Illinois passed a law making the possession of such devices a misdemeanor.

In the 1970s, activists in the United States deployed caltrops against the tires of logging trucks. Earth First! quickly condemned the practice, seeing it as a hazard to humans and animals.

In the distant past, Alexander the Great used the devices against the Persians. At other times, they have been used in armies against camels and elephants.

.http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=NEWS&template=wiki&text=caltrop

Upvote 0
it was 4 inches deep in the yard of an old house. The Union army passed this way during the civil war on their retreat fron Gen. John H. Morgan. Thanks for all the comments. I feel like I have a really good find.

Upvote 0
savant365 said:
My kids just used lego's on me, step on one of those bare footed on your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night... :'(

LMAO

sonny60 said:
it was 4 inches deep in the yard of an old house. The Union army passed this way during the civil war on their retreat fron Gen. John H. Morgan. Thanks for all the comments. I feel like I have a really good find.

It is a great find! Congrats!

Upvote 0
That's a really cool find....I can't imagine using those to stop a horse....OUCH!
HH
Sean

Upvote 0
savant365 said:
My kids just used lego's on me, step on one of those bare footed on your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night... :'(

Lego's: Better known as the "Pop Crippler" ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Upvote 0
gollum said:
savant365 said:

Lego's: Better known as the "Pop Crippler" ;D ;D ;D

Mike

MMmmmm...... wonder of dat's better or worse than what my puppy sometimes leaves for me to step in in the middle of the nite ??? :D eeewwwwwwwwwwww :D

Upvote 0
Versions of this are still used especially in areas where there ae coal mine strikes. In West Virginia they are called jack-rocks. They are made a lot of the time with spike nails, will rip apart a tire on a car or a coal truck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back