Jul 20, 2007
Falmouth, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Attachments

• jspn_HPIM0657.jpg
    jspn_HPIM0657.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 541
can't remember what dey're called but it's very similar, ( but maybe too small), to a device used during the CW to cripple horses.

Upvote 0
Jim's right!

It's called a caltrop, but was also commonly referred to as a "crow's foot" or "horse crippler."

Upvote 0
The 3rd Marine Division Shoulder Patch worn during World War II is in scarlet and gold, the official colors of the Marine Corps, and consists of a scarlet triangular shield with a narrow gold line near the outer edge. In the center of the shield is a gold and black CALTRAP, an ancient military instrument with four metal points so disposed that any three of them being on the ground the other projects upward, thereby impeding the progress of the enemy’s cavalry. Literally: Don’t step on me!
Source: http://www.caltrap.org/Members/CaltrapPatch.asp

Upvote 0
PBK said:
Jim's right!
It's called a caltrop, but was also commonly referred to as a "crow's foot" or "horse crippler."

I thought that, but it doesn't look sharp enough & my experience of the Medieval ones, at least one spike was straight up??

Just my thoughts, I would like to see others.

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I thought that, but it doesn't look sharp enough & my experience of the Medieval ones, at least one spike was straight up??

Try a search on "Civil War" + "caltrop" and you should get some good hits confirming this ID.

Upvote 0
PBK said:
CRUSADER said:

Try a search on "Civil War" + "caltrop" and you should get some good hits confirming this ID.

Can't find any the same?

Upvote 0
PBK said:
CRUSADER said:

Agreed... and as a horse owner, I can tell ya... it don't take much to lame a horse... this is a caltrop.

See this variety from medevil times through the WWs...

caltrops.JPG

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Might not look too effective, but imagine a horse weighing about 1700 lbs stepping on it. Even a sharp rock will lame a horse sometimes. Monty

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Might not look too effective, but imagine a horse weighing about 1700 lbs stepping on it. Even a sharp rock will lame a horse sometimes. Monty

I own a horse, & can image what they can do :)

Upvote 0
My recollection of my daughter's game of Jacks include only rounded tip jacks, not pointed as in this image. Size also, as Sonny wrote, is too big for the typical game piece.
Another impression: The image piece appears 'modern'.

Upvote 0
Ouch! That is terrible!!

I can see how it would be quite effective to get your foe on foot...

We can invent some pretty cruel stuff. I've never seen one before, quite an interesting lesson.

Upvote 0
Nice find and something you don't see everyday. You say you found it at an old house, did you dig it up or find it inside? It does appear almost exactly as these CW era ones do in shape -

caltrops.jpg

Also called crows feet.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back