Prospecting

Attachments

• unknownfront.jpg
    unknownfront.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 517
  • unknownback.jpg
    unknownback.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 517
It's from Turkey. I can't tell what value, date, etc. as it is unclear of the size of your example.

Best,
Scott

Upvote 0
The year is 1293, and the regnal year is most likely 2, meaning the date the coin was struck is really 1295, or 1878 in our date. If you provide a size comparison, or mm length, I can tell you the denomination.

Upvote 0
The emperor of the Ottomans at that time was His Imperial Majesty, The Sultan Abdülhamid II, Caliph of the Faithful.
He was the last Sultan to exert effective control over the Ottoman Empire. Each Sultan had a 'tughra' (signature) that was unique.
Hamid's tughra is that image in the center of the coin on the left.

The Islamic date, in Arabic numbers, on the other coin is shown as four distinct marks just above the wreath at the base of the coin. Later, in 1923, the Republic of Turkey became the successor state of the Ottoman Empire.
Don.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The regnal year is actually 10, so it is actually 1884 in our calendar. I am having trouble finding the exact coin, but I am sure someone, like Mackaydon, can assist you on that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sagisttarius,
No doubt you have ID-ed the coin, now leaving Mr. Magoo the opportunity and thrill of finding the exact match (regnal year 10).
Don.......

I looked it my Krause book, none of the designs seemed to fit with the size.

Mr. Magoo- What is the weight of the coin?

Upvote 0
Exellent find.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back