Unknown Script button-SOLVED

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier today I was discussing this button with Buckleboy and came up with a few suggestions what the letters might be, seem to have narrowed it down to TU, so I searched and found the button in one of my display cases and the backmark is .Wm. H. Wanamaker. .PHILA. So, I was thinking now, perhaps Temple University, that is if it is a TU, at first I thought perhaps it was related to something musical. ???

I tried finding old symbols of Temple and really came up empty, so open for suggestions on what the button represented.

Don

Attachments

• unkscriptbutton.jpg
    unkscriptbutton.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 327
Re: Unknown Script button

It's a trolley operator/conductor uniform button of the Union Traction Company, Philadelphia, PA, c. 1895-1900.

Upvote 0

PBK said:
It's a trolley operator/conductor uniform button of the Union Traction Company, Philadelphia, PA, c. 1895-1900.

:thumbsup:

U.T.C. it is. :)

Well done, PBK.

Upvote 0

Wow.. Nice ID PBK

Upvote 0

Gee PBK, somehow we knew you would find the answer. I tried to get info on William H Wanamaker and all I found is this photo of the store.
The bacmark of the button in this case shows the retailer who sold the button (attached to the uniform) and the button was more likely made by a button company like Horstmann.
I think the photo matches the time frame rather nicely.

Attachments

• Wanamakers Bldg.JPG
    Wanamakers Bldg.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 294
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Love the photo of Wannamaker's store! :thumbsup:

Glad I could help with the button. It's listed in Van Court's Transportation Uniform Buttons, Vol. II - Transit.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• PaRapidTransit.jpg
    PaRapidTransit.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0

What is nice about making this post, I just realized I had a couple more in addtion to the two shown, that are transporation (rail) buttons, also have a choo choo button!
Don

Attachments

• AC&Shore.jpg
    AC&Shore.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Conductor.jpg
    Conductor.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 244
  • trainbutton.jpg
    trainbutton.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Script button-SOLVED (by PBK of course)

I found the Phila Rapid Transit button a while back, not far from where the original line ran. I was able to ID it from the back, but it looked like it had been in a fire.

Attachments

• 2008_0131Image0003.JPG
    2008_0131Image0003.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 2008_0131Image0003.JPG
    2008_0131Image0003.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 2008_0131Image00014.JPG
    2008_0131Image00014.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions