unknown copper disc

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Found this yesterday at my trails. It rang up as a coin and from the pics you can see that nice green patina. Looks like some copper color is showing through some of the green. The triangle shaped hole in the center looks as if it was made by hand. Possibly used as a washer for something? Feels and weighs like a coin though. Could someone have used a large cent and transformed it to be used for another purpose?? I can see no marks on it at all that would show as once being a coin but like I say, it does have the feel of a large cent or some kind of copper coin. Even sounds like one when you drop it on a hard surface. Nickel is shown for size comparison since I did not have a calipers to show true size.

Help me out with this one please.

Thanks

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 485
Possibly a large upholstery tack? The iron nail part rusted away .

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 463
Upvote 0
I think its a roofing thingy. Nail went throw the hole & the copper disc prevented water getting in. Someone will know the technical term.

Upvote 0
yep it looks like roof nail for wood shakes they used in 1800s i have found some and they sound and look so good when you first dig them? good luck

Upvote 0
I would guess a button, hence the profile of a man's head, the tang or loop that attached it to clothing broke out, leaving a hole where it attached. Buttons are not my speciality, but to my eye it looks very much like an old button.

Oroblanco

Upvote 0
From the picture, it looks like it may be two pieces with the top one rolled over the edge of the bottom? Can you tell? If so, I say button with shank torn away. If one piece, I say roofing thingy.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Oroblanco said:
I would guess a button, hence the profile of a man's head, the tang or loop that attached it to clothing broke out, leaving a hole where it attached. Buttons are not my speciality, but to my eye it looks very much like an old button.

Oroblanco

I agree... button back... sans face and loop

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back