Strange Idea? General Sullivan Treasure...

LauraLou56

Sep 11, 2024
Hi all, after a recent ending to a relationship I dug my heels into an old treasure theory here in the Finger Lakes.

I had just recently learned of the idea that General Sullivan during his terrible trek through the area- may have stashed some treasure when they crossed over the northern parts of Honeyoe and Canadice lake (Hemlock as well). However- I noticed two odd things when reading through some of the material.

The journal entries along with his map note the "10 mile swamp/100 acre swamp" above Seneca Lake. What I think they would have been referring to is Montezuma Swamp but Montezuma Swamp is located north of Cayuga Lake. Were they purposely mapping this incorrectly to hide something that was left near or in the swamp(?)

Second, I noticed that there was some weight to maybe they were mistaken about the overpasses. To me, I wonder if the treasure may have been tucked in on one of the parts of the "Y that is Keuka Lake. If you look at where the treasure is noted as possible being located compared to the two off shoots of Keuka- you may see why I think this..

It would be awesome to locate any treasure and return to the Seneca nations throughout the areas that were desecrated throughout his journey to the Genesee.

These are just curious thoughts I jotted down- looking forward to any local feedback!

I do know he came through the Canisteo river valley in my area killing and burning everything native. If you can figure out where he entered that river and worked his way down it might give you a better idea of his route across the tops of the lakes. I suppose it would matter if that treasure was buried before of after he made his way into this region. I am a bit rusty on the history of his route.

I'd want more evidence of a solid lead before suspecting treasure. .

Lots of survivors from multiple sides. Any account of "valuables" beyond common work a day stuff being carried away?

"Stuff" bogs you down. And Sullivans party was hauling plenty of their own stuff. Kegs of musketballs and flour...Their beasts hauling it didn't need more weight to carry.
Military in an offensive position want speed when necessary. The sheer drudge of eight miles a day average didn't beg for more weight either.

("Napolean's retreat " is a lesson in plundering. A good one in plundering..)

But did the participants in your interests carry pilfered treasure? We'd want an account or accounts before diving too deep right away.
And if they did were they durable enough to recover today?

Most of what I've read (which means little) has natives and allies scooting out ahead of the raiders. That could mean they had time to secure (hide) or carry valuables away. Of the few potential valuables.
And in hiding something valuable that was plundered , when will we return to retrieve it? How do we know we can even return?
Maybe we will win this war or the next. Maybe we won't.
But we are certainly setting a large portion of those living in this region that keep sliding away ahead of us when they so desire , against us.
A single ,pair ,or trio returning to recover a prize might get killed before getting near it.
So if you're taking it , take it.

You could with proper permission(s) visit sites. Pictures of the pasts scars could be welcomed or not.
Relics depends on permissions again. Or property rights.

The first scuffle in this account mentions a site that might be a start. A metal detector should find lead. Maybe more evidence.

VERY INTERESTING! I have a direct relative who may be the same General Sullivan. I've got some research to do.

Hi all, after a recent ending to a relationship I dug my heels into an old treasure theory here in the Finger Lakes.

I had just recently learned of the idea that General Sullivan during his terrible trek through the area- may have stashed some treasure when they crossed over the northern parts of Honeyoe and Canadice lake (Hemlock as well). However- I noticed two odd things when reading through some of the material.

The journal entries along with his map note the "10 mile swamp/100 acre swamp" above Seneca Lake. What I think they would have been referring to is Montezuma Swamp but Montezuma Swamp is located north of Cayuga Lake. Were they purposely mapping this incorrectly to hide something that was left near or in the swamp(?)

Second, I noticed that there was some weight to maybe they were mistaken about the overpasses. To me, I wonder if the treasure may have been tucked in on one of the parts of the "Y that is Keuka Lake. If you look at where the treasure is noted as possible being located compared to the two off shoots of Keuka- you may see why I think this..

It would be awesome to locate any treasure and return to the Seneca nations throughout the areas that were desecrated throughout his journey to the Genesee.

These are just curious thoughts I jotted down- looking forward to any local feedback!

General Sullivan's Map of Finger Lakes
Wow all, what great and interesting feedback! I have added the map that made me question the swamp location and once off work today I'll read through each response carefully. Appreciate your input and advice!
And there's a good snippet and map regarding Sullivan's expedition and buried items here on TreasureNet as well- June 2007; Keyword search: Hemlock; Sullivan

And there's a good snippet and map regarding Sullivan's expedition and buried items here on TreasureNet as well- June 2007; Keyword search: Hemlock; Sullivan

Yes, that's the one- thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back