Unknown coin

bigcypresshunter said:
bigcypresshunter said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
Where is Estonia?
Next to Latvia and Lithuania.
I was just joking with you oldplacenofinds. ;D The only reason I know is because my garandparents were refugees from Lithuania. I guess it is considered Eastern Europe...the Baltic States I believe. Bubba (my Grandma) used to tell me stories about hiding from the Germans and the Ruskees,(Russians) who according to her, were the worst. She managed to get on a ship to America at the age of 15. I have some relatives who died in Siberian prisons. I still have some old letters somewhere. I believe these countries have their independance since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Now you probably wouldnt get all that on google, maybe more than you need to know. ;D

So, if not for you Grandparents, you may have never known where Estonia was located?

Upvote 0
oldplacesnofinds said:
So, if not for you Grandparents, you may have never known where Estonia was located?
Yes. I probably wouldnt know.. The Baltic states were swallowed up by the Soviet Union and pretty much forgotten. They now have their independence back.

Where is Bucks County?

Upvote 0
Well i've been searching for days trying to figure out what this is. Still no luck.
On a non-related note- Yes, "google" is a wonderful thing, I recommend using it for your homepage. ::) ::) ::) It's elementary my dear Watson!

Upvote 0
I've been searching for two days now as well. I thought it might be medieval, but I haven't found anything like it yet. Been looking through coins from surrounding countries--Latvia, Lithuania, and even as far away as Poland, but haven't come across any that resemble it. I wish the inscription were more clear. Estonian, does it appear to be cyrillic?

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
That one's a toughie all right.
The one word looks like HVFTA. Looks like lettering below the horseman as well (but can't quite make it out.)
I'm leaning toward a Greek origin (later than Byzantine), or maybe Swedish. And also a possibility it's an early coin from Britain.
Take your pick. :D

Upvote 0
Zephyr said:
The one word looks like HVFTA. Looks like lettering below the horseman as well (but can't quite make it out.)
I'm leaning toward a Greek origin (later than Byzantine), or maybe Swedish. And also a possibility it's an early coin from Britain.

I don't think it's British. I'm still looking though.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Zephyr said:

Swiss coins carry a similar word spelling to "hvfta". Just a thought.

John

Upvote 0
blurr said:
Zephyr said:

John
Your thinking about "Helvetica"? This thing is driving me nuts! :)

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
blurr said:
Zephyr said:

John
Your thinking about "Helvetica"? This thing is driving me nuts! :)

I believe that I am. Like I said, just a thought.

John

Upvote 0
kinda thin to be a coin dont ya think? i'm going with medal of some sort.

Upvote 0
re-tek said:
kinda thin to be a coin dont ya think? i'm going with medal of some sort.

This was my initial "gut" feeling when I saw the pics. I'm gonna keep looking though. PBK hasn't weighed in though either.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
Yes. I probably wouldnt know.. The Baltic states were swallowed up by the Soviet Union and pretty much forgotten. They now have their independence back.

Where is Bucks County?

South eastern PA. About an hour north of Philly. I live in the country though right by Nockamixon lake.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back