Unknown coin

bigcypresshunter said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
Where is Estonia?
Next to Latvia and Lithuania.

Duh. Nice first reply to this one.

I haven't seen anything like this before. I wonder if it is a religious medallion rather than a coin...

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
You probably already know this but just in case...

The top pic looks like a man and a woman beside him wearing a full length dress.

The bottom pic looks like a man on a horse that is reared up on it's hind legs. I'm thinking it may be a military related medal or coin of some type because a rearing horse often symbolizes battle....Just a guess

Very nice find. I sure am interested to know what it is.

DANGLANGLEY

Upvote 0
Some kind date on it 10?5. Size one inch.
Yesterday i find US soldier button. I think WW1 or oldest.

http://www.album.ee/node/11255545/50057108
http://www.album.ee/node/11255605/50057108

All my finds from Estonia.

estonia1.gif

Upvote 0
I would imagine that this date is not the actual date of the piece, since it seems too well struck for such an item of that age. My guess is that it is a commemorative medal for the 500th or 750th anniversary of some event. For example, the actual date of presentation of the medal might have been 15_5 or 17_5...I'm leaning toward 1500's. Can you read any of the words in the inscription? Latin I assume?

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
Where is Estonia?

Duh. Nice first reply to this one.

I haven't seen anything like this before. I wonder if it is a religious medallion rather than a coin...

Buckleboy

I quess you are a Geography teacher and have memorized every country in the world?? I have never heard of Estonia.

Upvote 0
I am not a Geography teacher, but that is what google is for if you didn't know where Estonia was. I just hate for the American stereotype to be proved true.

No offense meant,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
I am not a Geography teacher, but that is what google is for if you didn't know where Estonia was. I just hate for the American stereotype to be proved true.

No offense meant,

Buckleboy
Why would I Google if I have someone right here to tell me? I wonder how many people on this site know where it is. It is not like he said Germany or China. I do not feel I am ignorant because I do not know where Estonia is. No offense taken.

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
Where is Estonia?
I was just joking with you oldplacenofinds. ;D The only reason I know is because my garandparents were refugees from Lithuania. I guess it is considered Eastern Europe...the Baltic States I believe. Bubba (my Grandma) used to tell me stories about hiding from the Germans and the Ruskees,(Russians) who according to her, were the worst. She managed to get on a ship to America at the age of 15. I have some relatives who died in Siberian prisons. I still have some old letters somewhere. I believe these countries have their independance since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Now you probably wouldnt get all that on google, maybe more than you need to know. ;D

Attachments

• Baltic States.jpg
    Baltic States.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0
Pics about this item:

Attachments

• 1015c.jpg
    1015c.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 1015a.jpg
    1015a.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 576
  • 1015d.jpg
    1015d.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 508
  • 1015e.jpg
    1015e.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 503
  • 1015f.jpg
    1015f.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 481
  • 1015g.jpg
    1015g.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:

No offense meant,

Buckleboy

Gee, I wonder what that is? The guy asked where Estonia is located. He didn't denegrate a country he had no knowledge of. Nothing worse than a smug professor. Maybe another stereotype is being proved true. :D

John

Upvote 0
blurr said:
BuckleBoy said:

No offense meant,

Buckleboy

Gee, I wonder what that is? The guy asked where Estonia is located. He didn't denegrate a country he had no knowledge of. Nothing worse than a smug professor. Maybe another stereotype is being proved true. :D

John

I wasn't aware of this stereotype. Is this just popular amongst people who are scared of knowledge and never went to college themselves? I thought everyone knew that Google hits were much faster than Tnet replies. Now mind your own business, blurr.

My first response to this thread was because it was already off-course in the first reply! I have tried twice to steer it back to discussion of the find, as evidenced above. I did not call anyone ignorant, as also shown above. This is not the time to start a lengthy argument on here about where Estonia is located but rather help someone ID a find. Yes, it WAS a fine first few posts. If I post an item I'd like a little information on and someone started having a discussion about my bow tie, then I'd bust them myself! So lets get this thread back on track.

Blurr, on a previous post you called me priviledged because "blew my American dollars" by traveling this summer. I responded by telling you on a PUBLIC FORUM exactly what my meager income was, and that the trip was part of the pay for working overseas. Now you're belittling my profession. If you intent to keep this type of dialogue going, start sending me PM's directly. Don't keep posting this mess in someone else's "What is it" thread. C'mon.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
blurr said:
BuckleBoy said:

No offense meant,

Buckleboy

John

I wasn't aware of this stereotype. Is this just popular amongst people who are scared of knowledge and never went to college themselves? I thought everyone knew that Google hits were much faster than Tnet replies. Now mind your own business, blurr.

My first response to this thread was because it was already off-course in the first reply! I have tried twice to steer it back to discussion of the find, as evidenced above. I did not call anyone ignorant, as also shown above. This is not the time to start a lengthy argument on here about where Estonia is located but rather help someone ID a find. Yes, it WAS a fine first few posts. If I post an item I'd like a little information on and someone started having a discussion about my bow tie, then I'd bust them myself! So lets get this thread back on track.

Blurr, on a previous post you called me priviledged because "blew my American dollars" by traveling this summer. I responded by telling you on a PUBLIC FORUM exactly what my meager income was, and that the trip was part of the pay for working overseas. Now you're belittling my profession. If you intent to keep this type of dialogue going, start sending me PM's directly. Don't keep posting this mess in someone else's "What is it" thread. C'mon.

Buckleboy

Yeah, us comen folk hate all you teechers. ;D I am belittling nobody. I pointed out that he was ASKING where Estonia is. You were the one making fun of the fact he didn't know. Nothing worse than a thin skinned, know it all professor. Maybe you should shower us with your knowledge when a question is asked, instead of making fun. That's all I am saying.

John

Upvote 0
blurr said:
Yeah, us comen folk hate all you teechers. ;D I am belittling nobody. I pointed out that he was ASKING where Estonia is. You were the one making fun of the fact he didn't know. Nothing worse than a thin skinned, know it all professor. Maybe you should shower us with your knowledge when a question is asked, instead of making fun. That's all I am saying.
John

Thanks John. Point taken. The question was answered before I replied.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back