🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Unidentified Yard Sale thing !

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a yard sale several years ago, seems important but I've never been able to determine what it is exactly and what its made of.
Can you help me ?
Tested, but is NOT Silver... so what is it ? and what metal is it ?
If I have asked this before, I apologize now..
Cearly from when someone got married, seems too fancy for an ashtray.. dated 1917
(sorry I just uploaded the pictures, please refresh)

Attachments

• IMG_9957.JPEG
    IMG_9957.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9958.JPEG
    IMG_9958.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9960.JPEG
    IMG_9960.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9954.JPEG
    IMG_9954.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9955.JPEG
    IMG_9955.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9956.JPEG
    IMG_9956.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9959.JPEG
    IMG_9959.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9961.JPEG
    IMG_9961.JPEG
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9962.JPEG
    IMG_9962.JPEG
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9963.JPEG
    IMG_9963.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Could be an ash tray. Could also be one of those dishes that you throw change and keys and such into. As for the metal -- maybe pewter?

Upvote 2
Could be an ash tray. Could also be one of those dishes that you throw change and keys and such into. As for the metal -- maybe pewter?
How can you test for pewter and does it have melt value ?
Ashtray doesn't have those spots to rest a cigarette. and who gives an ashtray to someone for a wedding gift, that would suck 🤣

Upvote 0
How can you test for pewter and does it have melt value ?
I don't know how reliable they are, but this page says you can test it with several ways -- acid, a magnet, or even just a lighter. I don't think pewter has much melt value.

Ashtray doesn't have those spots to rest a cigarette.
I've seen many ashtrays that did not have those rest spots.

who gives an ashtray to someone for a wedding gift, that would suck 🤣
Agreed. But times were different. Smoking used to be "cool".

(I'm not saying it's an ash tray. Just that it could be.)

Upvote 2
I think it may be a bottle coaster, to prevent condensation from chilled white wines or drippage from red wines staining tables or tablecloths. We use a pair of silver-plated ones in our house, but pewter is quite likely for such an item.
I've never heard of such a thing but it sure sounds like it could be..

Upvote 0
I've never heard of such a thing but it sure sounds like it could be..

Check to see if a typical wine bottle fits. It would be an appropriate wedding gift with, say, a bottle of champagne or a nice wine.

This kind of thing:

Some have a cork or felt inlay, or a disc of wood inside. Others just plain, or engraved metal.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Check to see if a typical wine bottle fits. It would be an appropriate wedding gift with, say, a bottle of champagne or a nice wine.

This kind of thing:

Some have a cork or felt inlay, or a disc of wood inside. Others just plain, or engraved metal.
WOW !! now I know how to list it on Fleabay... I know I paid $1 for it at a yard sale !! I remember !!

Upvote 0
Yes with plenty of room to spare !!

Upvote 0

This kind of thing:

I think this is it but I don't know how to mark this as solved, thanks !!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back