IMG_4415.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4416.JPG
    IMG_4416.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Upvote 5
It looks to be a very abrasive stone.
Could be natural rock formation? IDK

I’m no expert, you should post it on the Native American forum.

Was it found anywhere near running water, creek, stream ect?

When pictures are blown up they don't show any signs of abrasion or use in pictures, looks more formed by water.

Not sure what this was used for. It came from Southern Appalachian Cherokee area. It is about 6 inches long and weighs almost a pound. I was thinking it might have been used for plowing/ gardening. I haven't been able to find a picture of anything like it anywhere. Does anyone else know what it might have been used for?
Looks like an Indian arrow shaft straightener.

Looks like an Indian arrow shaft straightener.
I started to post that suggestion, but there are just too many lines that “could” be grooved and they are very course, in a similar way the rest of the stone is. No difference in texture from wear.

Really doesn’t look like other artifacts surmised to be used for that purpose. They are usually a hard stone.

As stated on other thread, it is natural stone, looks like it was water erosion that formed it. If the groove was man made it would show it to be much smoother inside the groove.

Last edited:
Not sure what this was used for. It came from Southern Appalachian Cherokee area. It is about 6 inches long and weighs almost a pound. I was thinking it might have been used for plowing/ gardening. I haven't been able to find a picture of anything like it anywhere. Does anyone else know what it might have been used for?
What makes you think it's tooled instead of natural?

I'm new to this, but in other pics, there are usually indications of a stone tool being worked. I don't see that here. I'm curious where it was found, and if there were any other similar stones nearby.

What makes you think it's tooled instead of natural?

I'm new to this, but in other pics, there are usually indications of a stone tool being worked. I don't see that here. I'm curious where it was found, and if there were any other similar stones nearby.
Here is an axe head / mall or hammer whatever you would like to call it. I'm not an expert either but this rock came out of the creek and its groove is not smoothe but it has a slick finish. It's heavy over 3.5lb. I found the rock above in a near by old gravel rd. Most people wouldn't look there for artifacts but in the past people used creek gravel to make their roads better as they did in this old rd. I'm sure the above rock came from the same creek. If the above rock was formed by water the grooves would be slick and smoothe from the water passing over it, also the groove is very symetrical and the groove continues around the backside. I have found grinding tools in this area that seem to be made out of the same kind of rock. Strangely, I rarely find points in this area so I think they may have grown a lot of there food. I think they may have attached a stick to the above rock to furrow their gardens.

Attachments

• IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4418.JPG
    IMG_4418.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4420.JPG
    IMG_4420.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
At least a couple of those last pics look like they were worked. :thumbsup:

If the above rock was formed by water the grooves would be slick and smoothe from the water passing over it,
Not necessarily. The walls & floor of the Grand Canyon aren't slick and smooth, and water has been forming it for 5 million years.

It really depends on many factors/variables, including type of rock (and size of particles its made of), chemistry & action of the water, subsequent action, etc....

Wind & sand might produce the same kind of erosion--IDK.

Sorry, pictures only show natural water erosion, when pictures are blown up there are no signs of being worked by man.

Here is an axe head / mall or hammer whatever you would like to call it. I'm not an expert either but this rock came out of the creek and its groove is not smoothe but it has a slick finish. It's heavy over 3.5lb. I found the rock above in a near by old gravel rd. Most people wouldn't look there for artifacts but in the past people used creek gravel to make their roads better as they did in this old rd. I'm sure the above rock came from the same creek. If the above rock was formed by water the grooves would be slick and smoothe from the water passing over it, also the groove is very symetrical and the groove continues around the backside. I have found grinding tools in this area that seem to be made out of the same kind of rock. Strangely, I rarely find points in this area so I think they may have grown a lot of there food. I think they may have attached a stick to the above rock to furrow their gardens.
this rock also shows no signs of use wear either. It too is natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back