U Structure in Smith Cove

Ok makes sense.
Would you believe that it was a "port" in winter months to get goods to northerly towns? You would cart by sled over the ice sheet to the north.

It's possible but I would have thought they would have had their own port on mainland. Up or down the coast line somewhere. Why onload it to a ox pulled cart to get it across the island, to then load it onto a sled to slide across the ice, or heck just keep it in the same cart and hope you don't fall thru..

Is there any way to see if the south side of OI is ice free when the north side is a frozen sea? Some weird ocean current keeping it warm?
If so, it would be a safer place to load/unload cargo than the edge of an ice shelf.

Found a picture of the sled. Go to tnet main menu, select "7", scroll down to
"The "U" Shaped Structure", and out to records #77, #102 and #107.

If someone knows how to import these pictures from there to this thread here, it would be most helpful for discussions.

It is clearly meant for travel over snow, and needing oxen to pull it.

I couldn't follow your "path" and find it. Are you saying go to Tnet HOME PAGE, ( don't see a "7" to select there ) or Oak Island Forum first page, then to PAGE 7, and then down to a Thread titled U SHAPED STRUCTURE but there isn't one there when doing that..
So not knowing what your looking at, and or getting at about the sleds, people did live on the island. As we see there were plenty of activities on the island over the years. I could see someone either living or working on the island using sleds to move their stuff on the island and maybe even to and from mainland. I still would think for ships coming to drop off items to the mainland that mainland would have it's own proper dock and not need to be dropped off on the far end of OI and then sleded across it and then across water or ice to mainland. Not knowing just how much of an area iced over at the time, I've always thought the area between OI and Mainland froze from being a small area and little water current between them. I guessed that up or down the coast a bit that probably wasn't an issue, but don't know that to be true.. Always that chance that OI U Shape Structure was built for the reason you suggest for ships to dock there, unload and haul it across the island to mainland if the shore line is frozen up and down the coast.

Oops.

How I got there...

Google "oak island chat"
Select "Oak Island/Treasure Net...."
Box at top 1-17
Select 8 !!! (Sorry about that)
Down to "The "U"......…."
Out to records #77, #102, and #107.

Something more to consider is it is clearly to transport heavy loads. The thick wood walls of the sides are necessary because iron plates would buckle.

Definitely heavy duty and kinda small really, or atleast in the pics seem to be small. Would imagine if being used when unloading everyday goods from a ship, they would be bigger to carry more.. Ok Ok, I'll say it. Might they have been used to drag GOLD to the Money Pit!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back