tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a open space field behind where I live. I have found many things in the same area as I found this that seem most to have been from the later 19th century. There is an old coal mine site not to far away and from my research the field I found it was once a place where sugar beats were grown up to maybe the 1930's?. I looks hand forged and measures 8" by 3-1/2". To me I looks as if it were, made as a spike to pound in to a timber for a hitch point?. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of what this is and why you'd need one? Mining or Ag related is what I'm guessing?

Attachments

• spike 1.jpg
    spike 1.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 112
  • spike 2.jpg
    spike 2.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 102
  • spike 3.jpg
    spike 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • spike 4.jpg
    spike 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
In the pic where u r holding the item .... looks like the U part might have a purpose because it looks like a sharpened edge ..... the other pics don't show that edge.......... still no idea , just passing thoughts along ......

Upvote 0
Idk what it is but i found one just like it last winter.I hope someone can ID it.

Upvote 0
Might be an old ripper tooth or some other farming implement, need pics at different angles.

Upvote 0
looks like it might be a body hanger for an old wagon 1860's or so

Upvote 0
It looks like a harrow tooth. I have seen them bent like that on the rear part of the harrow so that a flat bar could be towed behind.

Upvote 0
Might be an old ripper tooth or some other farming implement, need pics at different angles.
that makes sense to me. I'll try and get some other pics later. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It looks like a harrow tooth. I have seen them bent like that on the rear part of the harrow so that a flat bar could be towed behind.
I sure didn't think that as I've never seen one that look like that before. You could very well be correct on that?

Upvote 0
Here's the one I found last winter,it has a diamond shape to it,i believe yours is too.

ForumRunner_20150723_055033.png

ForumRunner_20150723_055050.png

ForumRunner_20150723_055105.png

ForumRunner_20150723_055105.png

ForumRunner_20150723_055121.png

ForumRunner_20150723_055141.png

ForumRunner_20150723_055204.png

Upvote 0
THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A DOWNSPOUT SICKLE HOOK FOR ROUND GALVANIZED PIPE BUT NO PLACE ON THE SIDE WITH A LIP TO BEAT IT INTO STONE OR WOOD OR BRICK.

Upvote 0
I WOULD SAY SOMETHING FOR RR . TO HOLD TO A RR TIE.

Upvote 0
I found it where a skirmish took place i was thinking it might be cw related.we found lots of cw relics with the exception of a 1909 wheat and 1907 IH.
My father said it looked like a horse stake to him.I've never seen one though,what do guys think?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back