Typical depth finding coins

I'm talking about audible signals, I'm not saying you can't find deeper coins, but if anybody has dug coins at 10" plus, like claimed above, it would not have been the regular audible signal, we usually would dig. Also if you are getting coins at six-eight inches and over, I take it you hunting in all metal mode.

I am getting good audible signals on 9"-10" coins. Some are solid hits, some are broken and behave like iron. I use an explorer in iron mask so yes very little discrimination because I find that the coins that are deep bounce quite a bit. I also use a shovel with marks and I will check the depth which should be pretty close.

I would be happy to have anyone check my depths. :)

I have an Ace 250 & have found quarters & dimes at 8 inches + .

I got a faint hit and dug down about 2ft the detector got louder could not find anything gave up what do your think does that happen a lot new at this.

I got a faint hit and dug down about 2ft the detector got louder could not find anything gave up what do your think does that happen a lot new at this.

Large targets can be detected at great depths. Swing the coil around the edge of the signal and check to see its size. Coins hit in a very small area, large targets are noticeably larger.

Hay, I found a gold coin at 8" and that was the top one in the jar. lol Frank...

coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

this is what i want to know more about SS ,thanks for saying it. this confuses the hell out of me. with my whites i dig every item that i get a strong beep and above 50% on the graph . but they all end up 1-7 inches ( i also use a hand shovel with inches marks on it to tell my depth ) . but i have had a few marks that i get a "faint" beep every swing and it shows 7-9 inches and when i dig i find nothing and the signals are still weak not any stronger ...it makes me wonder if i am missing some stuff by not digging deeper then the depth the MD shows . if it was a strong beep i would keep digging... so does the depth effect the tone of the beep ?

I'm talking about audible signals, I'm not saying you can't find deeper coins, but if anybody has dug coins at 10" plus, like claimed above, it would not have been the regular audible signal, we usually would dig. Also if you are getting coins at six-eight inches and over, I take it you hunting in all metal mode.

this is what i want to know more about SS ,thanks for saying it. this confuses the hell out of me. with my whites i dig every item that i get a strong beep and above 50% on the graph . but they all end up 1-7 inches ( i also use a hand shovel with inches marks on it to tell my depth ) . but i have had a few marks that i get a "faint" beep every swing and it shows 7-9 inches and when i dig i find nothing and the signals are still weak not any stronger ...it makes me wonder if i am missing some stuff by not digging deeper then the depth the MD shows . if it was a strong beep i would keep digging... so does the depth effect the tone of the beep ?

There's no doubt that you can dig deeper targets, and the tone will be different. If your target is a solid hit, try detecting it from different angles, a coin will still regester from different angles, also you need to tell the difference from small targets, and large targets, I do this via the headphones. The target should be getting stronger if you are removing earth around it, if it does'nt I will ignore it.

Meters can also give false readings on objects that happen to have the same conductivity as the desired target. Certain types of junk can fool the best of them sometimes. Also, meters tend to quit providing useful information well before the detector reaches its maximum depth. Forget the wide sweeps and fast ground coverage that the beginners like to use.
Try slowing down and stay in one area- preferably an area that has produced coins before. Sweep width is going to be narrow, maybe two feet at first, narrowing even more when you get a blip. Go back and forth ten or twenty times over that blip.
See how it responds when you vary the sweep speed. Is it smooth? Repeatable? Sweep the target from another angle, maybe just 30 degrees to the previous axis. Walk around the target and keep sweeping it from different angles. Does the signal disappear? Does it appear to move a few inches away when swept from another angle? The iffy signal may not sound like a coin at all. However, it should be repeatable along at least one axis.
You may scan it east-west and it sounds good; approach it from north-south and it may disappear or break up. Most of the ones that sound great along one axis but disappear altogether from another are nails; however, coins on edge can, and do sound this way sometimes as well....hope this helps.
I don't know a lot about the machine you are using now, some of this might not help. I myself are going through a new learning curve, as I have swithched to the XP Deus, from the Goldmaxx and I find myself digging lots of trash...iron, pieces of coke, ect, it's all about getting to know the machine your using.

SS

Last edited:
I found a 1957 US quarter @ aprox. depth of 12 inches. Although the White's 6000 di md I was using had a limited visual of 9 inches I kept getting a strong audible for silver over the hole and so kept digging and was rewarded. Also found a us 1854 ($1 dollar) . coin @ aprox. depth of 4 inches in the same area. Ya never know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back