Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one just seems bigger than most. Is it just an early one? Late? :dontknow:

IMGA2373.JPGIMGA2372.JPGIMGA2371.JPGIMGA2370.JPG

3/4 inch in dia. Over an inch long. Weighs in at 45 grams.

Thanks!

HH!

Looks like a 69 cal.

Sorry for being dense, as I just don't know arms & such. But, would a 69 cal. be just a run of the mill norm for civil war? Earlier?

Thanks!

HH!

Upvote 0
69 cal musket ball was one of the earliest. They then converted the 69 smoothbore(musket ball) to the 69 cal rifled barrel for the Minie/3 ringer(yours). They then determined the 58 cal to be more accurate and that caliber was the most popular and used throughout the war....although even other calibers were used.

Upvote 0
More than likely yours has to do with the civilwar. It is a nice addition to your collection. Not real common. Actually most of the troops didn't like them and would pick up a 58 off the battlefield the first chance they got. Oftentimes the 69 would black their eye or even break the clavical bone.

Upvote 0
69 cal musket ball was one of the earliest. They then converted the 69 smoothbore(musket ball) to the 69 cal rifled barrel for the Minie/3 ringer(yours). They then determined the 58 cal to be more accurate and that caliber was the most popular and used throughout the war....although even other calibers were used.

Thank you kindly for the info! I'm beginning to understand the progression now.

HH!

Upvote 0
More than likely yours has to do with the civilwar. It is a nice addition to your collection. Not real common. Actually most of the troops didn't like them and would pick up a 58 off the battlefield the first chance they got. Oftentimes the 69 would black their eye or even break the clavical bone.

I kinda figured this brute was a bit of overkill. Sure glad I was never on the business end! :(

Thanks for your help!

HH!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back