Two mystery objects and one mystery button

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This first one might be a challenge, but you guys seem to be very good at figuring these things out. For context, I found it in the same area in the woods where I pulled an astonishing 30 old Marines buttons that somebody suggested were from 1900-1920. It's pretty crusty, heavy iron, and hollow.

The other thing is a somewhat ornate copper valve (?) and connection thingamajig, but I can't figure out what it might've been for. This was also found in the same area.

Finally, all the buttons I found but this one had the same design. This one is smaller than the others and has what looks like one of those medical symbols and an anchor. Backstamp just says "EXTRA QUALITY". Any info on it would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking!

iron4.jpgiron1.jpgiron2.jpgiron3.jpgcopper4.jpgcopper1.jpgcopper2.jpgcopper3.jpgmysterybutton.jpg

Just a guess, but the copper item looks like the piece off an old gas heater (often used in bathrooms).

Upvote 0
Thanks taz! That was like a land-speed record for solving it. That is clearly what it is.

Upvote 0
the first one looks almost like a well point. you would thread a piece of pipe in ,then drive it in the ground, then another pipe, drive in ground ane hope to get water. hand pump on the top.

Upvote 0
The Ebay seller is incorrect. It is not a US Navy button. Note that its anchor (with a bent-ended top and a chain, not a rope) is not the US Navy version. It is a US Public Health Service button. It is listed (and shown in a photo) as a US PHS button in the Alphaeus Albert button-book, as button FD-74 on page 276.

Another button with the very same emblem and the letters MHS is related to your button. The Marine Hospital Service is a branch of the US Public Health Service. But in this case, "Marine" doesn't mean US Marines, it means Maritime. The Marine-Hospital Service was an organization of Marine Hospitals dedicated to the care of ill and disabled seamen in the U.S. Merchant Marine, U.S. Coast Guard and other federal beneficiaries. Marine Hospital Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't have a copy of the Albert button-book, here's a photo of the Marine Hospital Service emblem, from the website linked above. It is identical to the emblem on your button. Note the chain and the anchor-top's shape, both of which are different from the emblem on US Navy buttons.

Attachments

• insignia_Marine-Hospital-Service_Wikimedia.jpg
    insignia_Marine-Hospital-Service_Wikimedia.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 781
Upvote 0
The Ebay seller is incorrect. It is not a US Navy button. Note that its anchor (with a bent-ended top and a chain, not a rope) is not the US Navy version. It is a US Public Health Service button. It is listed (and shown in a photo) as a US PHS button in the Alphaeus Albert button-book, as button FD-74 on page 276.

Another button with the very same emblem and the letters MHS is related to your button. The Marine Hospital Service is a branch of the US Public Health Service. But in this case, "Marine" doesn't mean US Marines, it means Maritime. The Marine-Hospital Service was an organization of Marine Hospitals dedicated to the care of ill and disabled seamen in the U.S. Merchant Marine, U.S. Coast Guard and other federal beneficiaries. Marine Hospital Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't have a copy of the Albert button-book, here's a photo of the Marine Hospital Service emblem, from the website linked above. It is identical to the emblem on your button. Note the chain and the anchor-top's shape, both of which are different from the emblem on US Navy buttons.

Terrific. Thanks for all the info. Can you estimate its age? It was found along with many USMC buttons from what someone else guessed were from 1900-1920.

Upvote 0
To time-date your button, I'd need to see a well-focused closeup photo showing the "Extra Quality" backmark. In general, if the backmark's lettering has "serifs" on the letters, it is pre-1880s. If it has "plain block" letters, it is as early as 1880 but more likely from the 20th-Century. (See the Graphic made by BigCypressHunter, attached below, which shows the "serifs" in red.

However, I can date the Ebay button with fairly narrow accuracy. That particular version of Waterbury button backmark dates from approximately 1900 to 1943, when the company changed its name from Waterbury Button Company to Waterbury Companies, and thus the abbreviation changed to Cos.

Attachments

• marking_Serif_and_Sans-Serif_lettering-style_art-by-BigCypressHunter.png
    marking_Serif_and_Sans-Serif_lettering-style_art-by-BigCypressHunter.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, it's got serifs, so I guess it's older than I though. Now I wonder if the Marine Corps buttons I found are older than someone had suggested before (1900-1920). Many of those have EXTRA QUALITY with serifs, as well as AM B CO. If you have time, could you take a look? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/340812-button-dump.html

Thanks much, Cannonball!

Upvote 0
Raastinerv, I should have also mentioned that the use of "serifed" lettering in backmarks continued well-into the 20thCentury ...as the following information about your US Marine buttons "serifed" backmark shows.

The backmark "AM. B. CO" means American Button Co, of Newark NJ. The book by McGuinn-&-Bazelon on button backmark dating says the American Button Co. began making buttons in 1901, its factory burned in 1917, and it ceased to exist in 1920. (Therefore, your Am. B. Co. backmarked US Marines buttons can date only from 1901 to 1917 or perhaps 1920.)

Upvote 0
Raastinerv, I should have also mentioned that the use of "serifed" lettering in backmarks continued well-into the 20thCentury ...as the following information about your US Marine buttons "serifed" backmark shows.

The backmark "AM. B. CO" means American Button Co, of Newark NJ. The book by McGuinn-&-Bazelon on button backmark dating says the American Button Co. began making buttons in 1901, its factory burned in 1917, and it ceased to exist in 1920. (Therefore, your Am. B. Co. backmarked US Marines buttons can date only from 1901 to 1917 or perhaps 1920.)

Thanks again! You're quite a knowledge resource

Upvote 0
I've been a relic-digger for 39 years, and a relic-dealer for almost that long. (It helped me pay for college.) A scrupulously honest dealer must do the research needed to make sure the ID (and time-dating) label he puts on his relics-for-sale is correct. So I bought all the various civil war relics books, learned what is in them, and did additional research. In doing so, I was often helped by a couple of kindhearted oldtimer relic-experts. Now I do for other diggers what those two guys did for me.

Upvote 0
I've been a relic-digger for 39 years, and a relic-dealer for almost that long. (It helped me pay for college.) A scrupulously honest dealer must do the research needed to make sure the ID (and time-dating) label he puts on his relics-for-sale is correct. So I bought all the various civil war relics books, learned what is in them, and did additional research. In doing so, I was often helped by a couple of kindhearted oldtimer relic-experts. Now I do for other diggers what those two guys did for me.

Sounds like an interesting life. Thanks for your help! T-net's lucky to have you on here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back