Two hunts, two terrains and I think I get the point!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First hunt was on farm field and I think I'm missing closer to where the good stuff is hiding on 20 acres.
The D buckle had a silver coating which you can see in photo. Part of horseshoe for a pony.
I was reminded why I used to wear gloves (left in my car) when I dug what looks like a crossbow bolt.
It was on edge of hole pointing up on a 45 degree angle. That would have done some real damage
if I was hurrying and digging with my hands, after making initial hole, which I never do but have seen guys in Youtube videos doing this. It shows there are some dangerous things waiting to be recovered in the ground. I thought the stone might be a arrow point due to quartz on both sides but probably not.

The second hunt was from Oct. 18th off Jersey Coast. There was about a 8-12" fresh sand covering
much of the beach after coastal storm. So the targets were few. I did see piles of sand for the bulldozers
to spread at various places. The long pointed shell is from a horseshoe crab and the small white circle
is a sand dollar. Two quarters, a dime and a penny. One bottom of a beer bottle in one hole dug.
Total bust for beach. Timing is everything and every hunt does not produce rings etc.
I was there all week and saw dolphins every day and my first humpback whale ever not far off the beach. He/she was swimming with the dolphins chasing school of fish.
I only hunted once there after seeing conditions. HH!
B3330.JPG
B2315.jpg
B3286.jpg

Upvote 15
Good to see you out digging a few holes.
Nothing worse than see bulldozers dumping a million tons of sand over sand, just to let folks play in the new sand.

First hunt was on farm field and I think I'm missing closer to where the good stuff is hiding on 20 acres.
The D buckle had a silver coating which you can see in photo. Part of horseshoe for a pony.
I was reminded why I used to wear gloves (left in my car) when I dug what looks like a crossbow bolt.
It was on edge of hole pointing up on a 45 degree angle. That would have done some real damage
if I was hurrying and digging with my hands, after making initial hole, which I never do but have seen guys in Youtube videos doing this. It shows there are some dangerous things waiting to be recovered in the ground. I thought the stone might be a arrow point due to quartz on both sides but probably not.

The second hunt was from Oct. 18th off Jersey Coast. There was about a 8-12" fresh sand covering
much of the beach after coastal storm. So the targets were few. I did see piles of sand for the bulldozers
to spread at various places. The long pointed shell is from a horseshoe crab and the small white circle
is a sand dollar. Two quarters, a dime and a penny. One bottom of a beer bottle in one hole dug.
Total bust for beach. Timing is everything and every hunt does not produce rings etc.
I was there all week and saw dolphins every day and my first humpback whale ever not far off the beach. He/she was swimming with the dolphins chasing school of fish.
View attachment 2114244View attachment 2114245View attachment 2114246
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

View attachment 2114244View attachment 2114245View attachment 2114246
Sounds like Cape May NJ

Your "crossbow bolt" is actually a modern mechanical broadhead. The blades are supposed to pop out when the ring (slid down the shaft) is pushed off as the broadhead enters the critter.

Good to get out and dig. Hopefully you’ll be able to go back to the field and zero in on the good stuff. Pretty cool to watch the dolphins and whale. 👍🏻

Good to get out and dig. Hopefully you’ll be able to go back to the field and zero in on the good stuff. Pretty cool to watch the dolphins and whale. 👍🏻
I hope so. I did find a 1809 Spanish One Reale there and two large coppers. Yeah the dolphins and whale were very cool! Thanks!

Attachments

• B1890.jpg
    B1890.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 11
  • B1891.jpg
    B1891.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back