Two coin Help

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Any possibilities figuring this out it would be great. The first coin is a 1966 Dime. Clad of course. I got it from my Dad and he said he has had it for numerous years. It appears to have the silver coating missing from it. It is about half the width of a regular dime. But the stamping is all pretty clear, like it came from the mint without the silver clad added.

Second the nickle has what appears to be a rivet of sort melted right into the coin beneath the Monticello. It is not glued on. Could this be from the mint or something placed there later. My Dad is more interested than me because he thinks they are worth something more than face value. I told him I would post them and let the Professionals here on Tnet give some advice. Thanks for the help guys......jgas

Attachments

• Dads coin #1.JPG
    Dads coin #1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 395
  • dads coin #2.JPG
    dads coin #2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 402
  • dads coin #3.JPG
    dads coin #3.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 396
  • dads coin #4.JPG
    dads coin #4.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 390
  • dads coin #5.JPG
    dads coin #5.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 405
Lamination Error??
A coin with a fragment of metal missing or peeled off the coin's surface is called a lamination error. "Caused by dirt or gas trapped in the strip as it is rolled out to the prescribed thickness. Lamination errors may be missing or attached to the coin's surface. In the case of clad coins, the outer layer may be completely or partially missing on one or both sides." $6 is the value per this site if, in fact, the dime is a lamination error.

Source: http://www.coinsite.com/html/userrorprices.asp

Upvote 0
The obverse of the nickle has nothing on it other than the normal print. That rivet thing does not go through to the other side. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. So will my Dad.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back