Two Carved Points from A Coastal Shell Midden

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We sold our bay house on the East Side of Trinity Bay about 5 years ago. For several years during the time we had it, we would hit all the shorelines looking through the Rangia Clam Middens. This now extinct species of clam was a major food source for the prehistoric people that frequented the shoreline. Below these refuse piles we would find an anaerobic mud that would hold many bone tools, and an occasional point that made it's way to the bottom of the shell thru tidal activity, etc.
There isn't ant usable tool stone along the Texas coasts and everything had to be brought in with trade. That's why we found so many bone tools and awls.
I had a habit of collecting handfuls of stuff and leaving it in baggies for review at a later date. Well, a friend had one of my baggies from back then, and brought it over for me during a visit. When I spilled it out I immediately saw what I missed way back then, The bone had dried out completely and the flaking was obvious. Several years ago I had found a carved shell point on the same midden during a high water event. There was only about 2 feet square of shell out of the water and the shell point was sitting neatly on top as if it was left there for me to see. Now beneath that area is where this bone point was liberated.
Along with a micro drill, petrified wood and bone awls and a small fish gouge it was killer finds once again.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back