Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two Buckle ID's Needed

I found these two buckles at the same site here in Ontario yesterday morning. I am hoping that someone here can offer me an approximate date of manufacture for both and possibly if they were made in either England or the US.
This site sits within 10miles of the US border and I've already found a few War of 1812 relics here. The larger decorative buckle is made of brass, the smaller square buckle is likely made of bronze. The fact that the larger one was missing it's tongue might be indicitive of it's age as well. :icon_scratch:
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :occasion14:
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19139.JPG
    SDC19139.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 86
  • SDC19176.JPG
    SDC19176.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 86
  • SDC19175.JPG
    SDC19175.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 76
  • SDC19143.JPG
    SDC19143.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 83
  • SDC19180.JPG
    SDC19180.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 87
  • SDC19179.JPG
    SDC19179.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
The larger buckle is a batwing buckle. Some say early 1800's, but it could be more recent than that. No idea who made them, though.

Smaller buckle looks more recent than that. My wild guess would be 1850 to early 1900's.

Upvote 0
The larger buckle is a batwing buckle. Some say early 1800's, but it could be more recent than that. No idea who made them, though.

Smaller buckle looks more recent than that. My wild guess would be 1850 to early 1900's.

Thanks very much for your help Tim! :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0
Both horse harness buckles circa 1850-1900

Upvote 0
Both horse harness buckles circa 1850-1900

That's possible, but many have stated they have found that batwing buckle at colonial sites. Every time one of these comes on TNet, there's debate over it's age. That's why I mentioned that it may be later than the early 1800's.

Upvote 0
That's possible, but many have stated they have found that batwing buckle at colonial sites. Every time one of these comes on TNet, there's debate over it's age. That's why I mentioned that it may be later than the early 1800's.

Actually many have been posted & found at post-1830's sites. Too many people fall into the trap of - colonial site=colonial finds or CW Site=CW Finds

Upvote 0
Actually many have been posted & found at post-1830's sites. Too many people fall into the trap of - colonial site=colonial finds or CW Site=CW Finds

Yes, and not every musket ball was used in the Rev War, and neither was every enfield or mini used in the Civil War!

Upvote 0
I found a large batwing style buckle at a mid 1800's site.
Looks like this one was silver plated.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help with the I.D. guys! :occasion14:

I should've entitled this post 'The Batwing Horse Buckle Forum'! :laughing7:

Cheers,
Dave

Upvote 0
I found a large batwing style buckle at a mid 1800's site.
Looks like this one was silver plated.
View attachment 1041728

Yeap, this style of horse buckle is suppose to have started in the mid-19th C, the issue has been that one has been missed IDed in a book, & no other book yet has corrected it, so our references are limited.

Upvote 0
Yes, and not every musket ball was used in the Rev War, and neither was every enfield or mini used in the Civil War!

well my enfield rifle was from the Civil war, because the Estate Auctioneer said it was, he even had a white tape label on the stock proving authenticity :laughing7:.

Dave, Nice find on the buckles.

Upvote 0
well my enfield rifle was from the Civil war, because the Estate Auctioneer said it was, he even had a white tape label on the stock proving authenticity :laughing7:.

Dave, Nice find on the buckles.

You gotta love the official 'white sticker COA', it doesn't get much better then that when it comes to authenticating CW reilics! :laughing7:
Thanks for your post nova ... you made made me laugh!
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back