trying to find anything i can about it

fast_408

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2016
North Judson ,In
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the title says ,I have an old ax or something to that nature .It was given too me, the guy I got it from said he had no ideal where he got it, only that he has had it from when he was a kid. and he is 62 now! It has copper inlay in it and the holes seem to be squared edges like it was done with a hammer n chisel, the head has a cap on it that if u look from the bottom almost looks like it was soldered on, it also has a bolt with threads in the center of the bottom I think it may of been added after it was built, bc it seems like the head is tapered ,I think they used to use a wedge type of handle where u put it in and slide it down till it wedges , Im not for sure on this its just a guess I have no experience in any thing like this so if I can get any thing else to help identify it just lmk I took a bunch of pics ,but if anyone wants a diffrent angle just ask . thankyou for any and all help you guys may be able to offer 008.JPG027.JPG019.JPG016.JPG014.JPG015.JPG013.JPG012.JPG011.JPG010.JPG009.JPG028.JPG061.JPG

Looks handforged and then the holes cut out with a torch. Judging from the rough edges anyways and thst round hole on back side of head was more than likely added as a set screw to keep it on the handle

Upvote 0
I am going with mid 1700s trade ax , fur traders or Native American . but i am not sure

Upvote 0
I like it I really do but it's just one of them pieces you see that in your mind your first thought is its too nest to be legit

Upvote 0
I like it I really do but it's just one of them pieces you see that in your mind your first thought is its too nest to be legit

I agree. I just looks too good to be really old. Of course, I'm no expert and it could be a completely different story with the relic in hand...

A buddy of mine hand makes his own armor and weapons for the Renaissance Fairs. This looks like the kind of thing he would make.

b82743e481eb537e48d6c01ddd3a5738.jpg

Upvote 0
That's what I was thinking too. I've made hand axes,knives, and even a detecting shovel and it's too easy to make a fake. The holes look to have been blown out with a torch. Oil and other substances soaked into hot metal will make it soak up that stuff

Upvote 0
It does look to be an old axe... The holes don't look torch cut to me at all, if you look closely they aren't truly round and show a cross shape to them. That and the surface of the metal make me think it's not a "modern" reproduction, but that doesn't mean it's hundreds of years old either... What it could be, is a Victorian Era reproduction. Collecting arms and armor was very popular back then and a lot of reproductions were made, some that it would take an expert to tell from the real thing.

I'd say get it looked at by an expert who knows Mideival weapons, and let us know what you find out though, because I'm definitely curious now too

Upvote 0
I've made several knives and when cutting them with a torch and such a small hole your making it will leave slag on the edges and will be cut uneven. If you look at the edges it appears once cut out the burs were ground down. It very well may be an old ax that some has decided to punch holes in and add some design to it

Upvote 0
Good call. I would have it authenticated to be sure. Too many repros out there. I've had guys bring me a period style knife and they wanted it to look like something they've seen before and I usually could do it with a plasma cutter or torch and a couple of cold ones. Just be on the safe side I would send it off

Upvote 0
I'm gonna go with legit just cause I'm excited for you. I didn't notice any real differences in yours vs the other except your crosses aren't really crosses.

Upvote 0
I'm going to look a little more into this but my initial impression is that there are 2 stories to this ax head. I believe it is possible that the original ax could be very old and at some time in the past (also a very long time ago) it was re-worked to be a more ornamental piece. Just food for thought.

Upvote 0
Your axe is called a Tabarzin .Nice one at that.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the help Osage express u def nailed it I'm so excited it's not funny . A little more info about this one my friend tried to sharpen it and I took it and polished it and would of kept going but when I seen the way the holes were made I had a feeling it was really old so I've sat on it looking at it about daily trying to figure out what it was that is how I found you guys once again thank you all your speedy answers and how much u found out is truly amazing thank you thank you thank you Jason

Upvote 0
I figured as much. Who knows though. Them dang Indians and Afghanistan,Pakistan is always reproducing old medieval crap

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back