Trying to disconfirm that this is a cannonball

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

Someone sent this to me asking for an ID -- they're wondering if it is a cannonball. My main reason against it: it was found in the area of Des Moines, IA. While most of the other information I have about the object is obvious from the picture, I can say that:

1) It is made of iron
2) It is broken
3) What remains weighs roughly 20 pounds
4) The outside is smooth

IMG_3531[1].JPG
IMG_3532[1].JPG
IMG_3533[1].JPG
IMG_3534[1].JPG

I wonder whether it is a millball or something. Just coming here for any thoughts.

Thanks,
- mcl

Based on the description and "thickness" in the photo with a tape-measure, it appears to be a fragment from an exploded 10-inch caliber Columbiad or Mortar roundshell of the civil war era and a few decades afterward. Many yankee cities (especially state capitals like Des Moines) which were within range of raids by Confederate cavalry (such as Morgan's raid) built city-defense perimeter fortifications equipped with Heavy Artillery mortars, such as the 10" Mortar. Artillery troops manning those fortifications occasionally did Live-Fire practice with the cannons. A friend of mine in Ohio, named Jim Martin, has dug many civil war artillery shells from a practice range near Cincinatti, which no Confederate soldier ever got near to.

One caution-note though... all cannonballs were perfectly round. We need to see a "sideview" photo which shows whether or not this fragment is part of a sphere, or is oblong/oval, or some other shape. If it's not shaped exactly like a piece of a BALL, it is not a cannonball fragment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Based on the description and "thickness" in the photo with a tape-measure, it appears to be a fragment from an exploded 10-inch caliber Mortar roundshell of the civil war era and a few decades afterward. Many yankee cities (especially state capitals like Des Moines) which were within range of raids by Confederate cavalry (such as Morgan's raid) built city-defense perimeter fortifications equipped with Heavy Artillery mortars, such as the 10" Mortar. Artillery troops manning those fortifications occasionally did Live-Fire practice with the cannons. A friend of mine in Ohio, named Jim Martin, has dug many civil war artillery shells from a practice range near Cincinatti, which no Confederate soldier ever got near to.

One caution-note though... all cannonballs were perfectly round. We need to see a "sideview" photo which shows whether or not this fragment is part of a sphere, or is oblong/oval, or some other shape. If it's not shaped exactly like a piece of a BALL, it is not a cannonball fragment.

Thank you so much, I was hoping for your input. I'll work on getting another picture from the person who sent it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the new "sideview" photos. Yep, the fragment is part of a Spherical object... and that keeps the cannonball fragment possibility alive.

It is reported to weigh "roughly 20 pounds." Please ask your friend to get it weighed on a precision weighing scale, such as a Postal Shipping scale. Household bathroom scales are too inaccurate. I'm asking because it seems to be less than 1/4 of the ball... maybe 1/5 or 1/6. Multiplying the weight will help the estimation of its caliber/diameter, and whether it is from a roundshell for a mortar (short gun) or a cannon (long gun).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back