✅ SOLVED Trying to date this tin advertising plate, but am coming up empty handed on my search

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• foster12:09:12.jpg
    foster12:09:12.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
And if you're interested in some history: In January, 1881, William S. Foster purchased a half interest in the concern under the firm name of C.S. Foster & Brother, which in 1885 was changed to Foster Brothers. In April, 1892, the establishment was incorporated and adopted the present style of the Foster Brothers Manufacturing Company with William S. Foster as president. January 1, 1888, the concern was located on Broad street, and in the fall of 1893 the manufacture of iron beds, brass trimmed, was commenced. Prior to that the business had been confined to the manufacture of springs and spring beds, woven wire cots, cribs, etc.
Don...

Upvote 0
Thanks Don .. That's some good information .. Much obliged! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
To clarify my above post, I meant that the 1948 ad was specifically for Fosters' Plato line of bedsprings, rather than the Ideal line, which may be an indication that line was a somewhat new (maybe improved?) line of bedsprings at that time.

Upvote 0
To clarify my above post, I meant that the 1948 ad was specifically for Fosters' Plato line of bedsprings, rather than the Ideal line, which may be an indication that line was a somewhat new (maybe improved?) line of bedsprings at that time.

Wish I could get into the site to see the paper. I would love to know what the add says. Thanks a bunch for the link.

Upvote 0
Well, I signed up for the free trial membership to see the ad, which was a text only (no pictures) ad from Sisemore Furniture raving that these were the best springs on the market. It read; Foster Super-Tempered "Plato" Bedsprings.
However, it didn't imply that the line was new at that point (like we might have hoped for nailing down a date). But that's the best I could find. Geez, you'd think if they were so great we'd have no trouble finding more information about them. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
Well, I signed up for the free trial membership to see the ad, which was a text only (no pictures) ad from Sisemore Furniture raving that these were the best springs on the market. It read; Foster Super-Tempered "Plato" Bedsprings.
However, it didn't imply that the line was new at that point (like we might have hoped for nailing down a date). But that's the best I could find. Geez, you'd think if they were so great we'd have no trouble finding more information about them. :tongue3:

Now that is going way beyond the call of duty nhbenz .. Thank you very much for you efforts and dedication ..They are greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back