South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit an old 1876 farmstead lost in the woods off the walking path at my industrial park. Literally 300 yards from my office. I found several relics, horse tack, wheats and only one silver here last year.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855146.755447.jpg
Weather is in the teens, but ground not frozen. Only 3 targets all multi scoopers.
The first was a nice high tone that was a double scooper.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855323.318251.jpg
Some kind of lamp key/valve.
My last target ended up being a 4 scooper, so I gave up even though it sounded great and was small in the hole, oh well at over 18" it is most likely deep iron.
My second target was a triple scooper. It was a nice small high tone that stayed consistent over the first 2 scoops. Dug the third scoop and I saw an awesome site, green coin impression in the plug.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855703.240425.jpg
Reswung the hole just to make sure it was out, it had been deep down.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855751.421452.jpg
Scanned the nearby clogs, one buzzed and broke it open.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855877.587728.jpg
Hello greenie!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855913.657222.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855925.501348.jpg
LC next to impression
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517856013.828999.jpg
A holed Matron Head Large Cent!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517856067.783291.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517856076.982944.jpg
Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Upvote 32
I’m thinkin that before the advent of TV and internet, the past time in this country was to punch holes in coins. What was the reason? Cheap jewelry?

Thx Joe-D! This coin would have been circulating in the early 1800's. I understand that it was not uncommon for travelers in this period to hole their coins and tie them in their pockets for safe keeping. More often seen on early silver coins though. Someone late last year on TNet found several holed silver coins in the same patch of ground, most likely the string broke in that instance.

I hope you haven't scrubbed that awesome patina off that sweet green coin searching for a date. That thing is amazing for the patina alone! Was the soil clay by chance? I have dug old copper-brass targets from clay and they produce light neon green patina like this remarkable LC. The valve is pretty cool in it's own right. You be spoiled my friend!

Thx Kevin! If even the smallest remnants of a date were visible I would have scrubbed away. She has some decent detail, but nada in the date area so she is safe.... You might be on to something with the patina and clay in the soil. This coin was below the rich dark dirt into the clay layer.

Nice going on the copper and the Barrel tap valve.

Nice find. Especially this time of year! [emoji2][emoji106]

Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Spotted that keg key that's funny Ive tapped and drained many a keg. I found some old still parts in an old garbage pit debated if I am going to bring it home and restore it lol I just don't wanna hear You don't plan on bringing that in this house do you YES I DO lol
Hey those old stills had a lot of copper. I drag home all the scrap copper I dig, plus all the scrap lead and brass. In fact I am due for a trip to the scrap yard :icon_thumright:

one cent got you so much more back in the day . it's hard to understand in 2018 where pennies are a nusance . pockets were a luxury poor folk dint have them so they would sew them on there cloths so they wouldn't loose them..

Thx MH! I was on the quest to dig a LC when I started detecting. Took me 18 months to dig my first. Flipping the clod over and seeing the large'ness still gets my blood pumping, really. Like I wasn't freezing anymore after finding this...

Haha it is a cool feeling for sure and I've only found 3 of them. It makes you momentarily forget about the cold like a shot of liquor.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back