South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit an old 1876 farmstead lost in the woods off the walking path at my industrial park. Literally 300 yards from my office. I found several relics, horse tack, wheats and only one silver here last year.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855146.755447.jpg
Weather is in the teens, but ground not frozen. Only 3 targets all multi scoopers.
The first was a nice high tone that was a double scooper.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855323.318251.jpg
Some kind of lamp key/valve.
My last target ended up being a 4 scooper, so I gave up even though it sounded great and was small in the hole, oh well at over 18" it is most likely deep iron.
My second target was a triple scooper. It was a nice small high tone that stayed consistent over the first 2 scoops. Dug the third scoop and I saw an awesome site, green coin impression in the plug.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855703.240425.jpg
Reswung the hole just to make sure it was out, it had been deep down.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855751.421452.jpg
Scanned the nearby clogs, one buzzed and broke it open.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855877.587728.jpg
Hello greenie!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855913.657222.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517855925.501348.jpg
LC next to impression
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517856013.828999.jpg
A holed Matron Head Large Cent!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517856067.783291.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517856076.982944.jpg
Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Upvote 32
sounds like a kellogs raisen bran commercial lol those are some great finds on your day off they can look out the window and see you doing your other job lol I also hunt when temps are low the woods seem diggable cause of all the leaves insulate the ground great job great post

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a copper that green! Awesome hunt! You're on a roll!

That is so SWEET a little hunting site right by work, get some lunch time swing time!

Awesome patina I wouldn't clean that coin for nothing!

You've been living LARGE lately son :headbang:
Congrats on the LC and the Keg Spigot valve key.

Last edited:
sounds like a kellogs raisen bran commercial lol those are some great finds on your day off they can look out the window and see you doing your other job lol I also hunt when temps are low the woods seem diggable cause of all the leaves insulate the ground great job great post

Thx A2! I do feel a little guilty walking by a couple big conf room windows with my metal detector and digger, but like you said it's my second (fun) job!!

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a copper that green! Awesome hunt! You're on a roll!

Thx HighV! It was nice and green as it thawed, carefully rubbed some of the dirt off, but it started to dry out a really light green color and all the detail went away. So I dropped it in some olive oil for 10 minutes. Patted it off and it looks great now, dark green. I think I've preserved the look. Only down side is there is no trace of a date vs the Matron Head I dug on Saturday with Steve.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517860393.558501.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517860407.088970.jpg

Thx HighV! It was nice and green as it thawed, carefully rubbed some of the dirt off, but it started to dry out a really light green color and all the detail went away. So I dropped it in some olive oil for 10 minutes. Patted it off and it looks great now, dark green. I think I've preserved the look. Only down side is there is no trace of a date vs the Matron Head I dug on Saturday with Steve.View attachment 1546277View attachment 1546278

Who cares.....that thing is freaking beautiful as is buddy. Plus it's holed. Even better...

You've been living LARGE lately son :headbang:
Congrats on the LC and the Keg Spigot valve key.

Thx for the ID correction. Googled keg spigot and found the match "wine barrel spigot valve from 1800's"
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517860985.374061.jpg
Pretty cool. Next hunt we need to get into some Spanish...

with the hole in it , i would wear her..she is meant to be worn ...that's why the hole was there in the first place....her greenness is perfect....super find......you earned it for sure ...and oh the mittens rock....

with the hole in it , i would wear her..she is meant to be worn ...that's why the hole was there in the first place....her greenness is perfect....super find......you earned it for sure ...and oh the mittens rock....

Thx! She's definitely got a big crude old hole in her. I understand why old silver was holed, but to hole 1 cent?

I love the green look to your LC. I dug a green Indian head penny last year. It seems like it might be the year you dig a lot of largies.

I’m thinkin that before the advent of TV and internet, the past time in this country was to punch holes in coins. What was the reason? Cheap jewelry?

I hope you haven't scrubbed that awesome patina off that sweet green coin searching for a date. That thing is amazing for the patina alone! Was the soil clay by chance? I have dug old copper-brass targets from clay and they produce light neon green patina like this remarkable LC. The valve is pretty cool in it's own right. You be spoiled my friend!

I love the green look to your LC. I dug a green Indian head penny last year. It seems like it might be the year you dig a lot of largies.

Thx MH! I was on the quest to dig a LC when I started detecting. Took me 18 months to dig my first. Flipping the clod over and seeing the large'ness still gets my blood pumping, really. Like I wasn't freezing anymore after finding this...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back