Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
"Trench Art" Silver Bracelet

I got out for an hour after work and went back to one of my local sites. It was loaded with holes left by someone, but I worked it slowly through the iron and was able to pull a few nice finds from between the trash, including the nickel plate fork a few buttons and a piece of heavy jewelry, which appears to be Aussie from the Victorian period? There are no markings, but it is heavy silver, probably half of it is still around or was found by another hunter? Any help with the ID on this is appreciated.

UPDATE: Thanks to Ivan for the research on these types of bracelets.

During World War II, and again during the Second World War, soldiers used to pass the time in the trenches by making small objects out of shell casings, scraps of metal, and coins.

Often these objects were given to loved ones or sweethearts waiting at home.

This bracelet is an example of trench art from World War II.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 768
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 775
Upvote 0
Re: Unusual Old Silver Jewelry...Help with ID!

Looks like it is made from old Australian silver coins...

Very nice & interesting find :icon_thumright:

Does look like Sterling Silver, but I won't be able to help with any info :dontknow:, first time I have seen such a bracelet.
At the end of the day, still a very nice find and once another member supplies info on it, you'll have a good
story to match your find :thumbsup:

This...

Attachments

• 1951florin.jpg
    1951florin.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 701

Filthy Lucre said:

Hmmm, it matches but the back is plain! It looks like the designer initials were worn off as well, but I can barely make them out. 1945 is the final year that sterling silver coins were made in Australia.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Filthy Lucre said:

Hmmm, it matches but the back is plain! It looks like the designer initials were worn off as well, but I can barely make them out. 1945 is the final year that sterling silver coins were made in Australia.

It was common to smooth the back of coin jewellery...we see it all the time with love tokens. You got a nice piece of a silver coin bracelet! :icon_thumleft:

Yes i concur, this does look to be fabricated from coins - at first i didn't think so - but upon
closer examination , it looks right . nice find ! I guess you could hire your local, struggling
silversmith, to fabricate the missing sections for you - You go get the requisite coins from
your nearby coin dealer and your all set ! The more I look at this , the more I like your
coin bracelet ! Argentium.

Argentium said:
Yes i concur, this does look to be fabricated from coins - at first i didn't think so - but upon
closer examination , it looks right . nice find ! I guess you could hire your local, struggling
silversmith, to fabricate the missing sections for you - You go get the requisite coins from
your nearby coin dealer and your all set ! The more I look at this , the more I like your
coin bracelet ! Argentium.

I am leaning toward post 1945, after which date the coins were .500 silver. This would explain the slight corrosion one would not find on Sterling.

I'd say the ID is right, what a cool find !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

whatever it is, it's sweet!! I think it is from an Australian coin.

it was common during WW2 for wounded allied soldiers healing in aussie hospitals to make gifts for wifes , mothers , sisters and girlfreinds as a way to kill time and do "rehab" ***** these bracelets were made from 800 pure silver british /aussie silver coins.

ivan salis said:
it was common during WW2 for wounded allied soldiers healing in aussie hospitals to make "rehab" type gifts for wifes , mothers , sisters and girlfreinds ***** bracelets made from 800 pure silver / british aussie silver coins.

Thanks for the research! I have found a few links related to these: Here is another coin bracelet made from australian coins: with the text following

RL-6996.1L.jpg

During World War I, and again during the Second World War, soldiers used to pass the time in the trenches by making small objects out of shell casings, scraps of metal, and coins.

Often these objects were given to loved ones or sweethearts waiting at home.

This bracelet is an example of trench art from World War II.

Filthy Lucre said:
Looks like it is made from old Australian silver coins...

Maybe :-\

Nice piece anyway :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back