Treasures by the Yard! Treasures by the Buckets!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
How many of you keep everything you find metal detecting?

I began my new MD'ing hobby March 2007, ordering my first SE package from Tony Pasquale at KellyCo. I was a fan of the hobby back in the 80s but eventually moved on to other things. Since March 2007, I've owned 3 more SEs and numerous other detectors; liking to compare them. I made it a habit right off the bat of bringing everything I found home; placing it in 6 gallon buckets. Well, my wife got tired of seeing/smelling my "treasures" in the garage and gave me orders to move it out. So, I've spent the last several hours documenting my finds with photos and sorting through it before discarding it. Surprisingly, I found seven coins, two tokens, a lot of lead, bullets, and misc. items I'd initially overlooked! Anyway, I thought it would be fun to show you my Trash Treasures; proving I have been a dedicated Metal Detectorist for (9) months out of the pass 15 months or so. I actually gave up the hobby from August 2007 until Feburary 2008 for a lot of reasons; none valid. So, it all amounts to a lot of trash for 9 months of digging! Do you think I should qualify for the banner? :)

Enjoy!!!
GRB

Attachments

• Trash 06-18-08-950.JPG
    Trash 06-18-08-950.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,632
  • Trash Yard-950.JPG
    Trash Yard-950.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,618
Upvote 0
Nice job, good to see that you are cleaning up the ground as you are detecting. I have come across previous hunters holes with the trash left in them...all the time.

BANNER!

Now recycle that aluminum and take yourself out for lunch.

shucks Ron, least ya found something in your buckets of recycles lol :thumbsup:

GoldenRoyBoy said:
I began my new MD'ing hobby March 2007, ordering my first SE package from Tony Pasquale at KellyCo. Since March 2007, I've owned 3 more SEs and numerous other detectors; liking to compare them.

If I read correctly you have owned four SEs and numerous other detectors since starting back in the hobby on March 2007 of which you only hunted 9 months. Do you actually locate the target then dig the hole with the detector...LOL. That is alot of machine in a short period of time unless the dates are wrong or you are counting when you orginally started in the hobby back in the 80s.

Congrats on all the finds....it is all treasue but no I do not keep it. I've been married for only 1 1/2 years so I don't want to push my luck just yet. Although I do have a two car garage that is detached and all mine...mine, mine , mine. I even put cable in it so if I'm ever in the dog house I can still watch sports.

NJ

I do the same thing, but sort the trash into four categories, then once a year take it and whatever other items I've got and head to sell my "trash" at the scrap yard!

Hello Guys & Gals!
I actually thought this thread would have been moved by now; not deemed worthy of being worthy finds.
Yes, all honesly true!!! But to be fair, I have a good closet of nets as well. One day I may share all them again also as I have everything categorized.

N.J. Ther!
The dates are correct! I bought two SEs within a short period after beginning the hobby last year; one, as a backup. I sold both towards the end of the year or so. I then acquired two more earlier this year; which, I now have. A GPX4000, a DFX, a F75, (2) Cortes, a TeJon, a Fisher F4, a DMC2b got added to the mix along the way. I'm one to go big or not at all and may have missed adding one or two more! Lol! Back in the 80s, my first detector was a Garrett Master Hunter. Later in the 80s, I owned two Fisher's; a 1265 & 1266 along with two 1270s. Yes, I like pairs!

**I came back to clarify something:
I only have 2 SEs, a TeJon, and a Cortes in my arsenal at the present time; everything else has been sold or given away.
However, I do plan to sell both Tesoros as they are not being used.

Thank you all for your interest,
GRB

DAAAANG GRB!!!

That there's a lot a one knee dips.

How's your back doing?

Is your right thigh muscle twice as big as the left one?

Great job cleaning up all that garbage.

HH

Shane

Hi,
Congratulations for your dedication to this hobby.
You really deserve the BANNER - OK !
HH ,
Mike

Master Shane!
Actually, that was one of the reasons I gave up on the hobby last August or so!
The back! It still bothers me but hades to it.

My right thigh bigger? NO, but my right forearm is Popeye big!
And, my right knee is calloused big time!
All in a day's worth of working; swinging that loopy loop thing! :)

GRB

Talk about "trash talking", Ron my back hurts just looking...oh make it my back, arms and legs! :D

Thats a lot of trash! You better not put it back out on the playgrounds or parks! We do not want to find it! lol

This is the first year i started to save the junk i have found. I have found one 5 gallon bucket filled with things i have brought home. Unsure what I am going to do with it all, I do not want to sort out the brass from the other junk. lazzy i guess. Just thaught i would tell you that I do the same thing.

Wow, that's a lot of pull-tabs (could of been gold) in those buckets!

You should keep at least a 1/2-bucket of the "meanest-looking" crap
in the car at all times. . . it comes in handy to put the minds of all the park-watchers
at ease. . . especially when they ask what you're doing digging for.

Take care!
watercolor

Roy,
That is truly amazing! BANNER!
I thought I was the only one keeping buckets full of all the stuff I find.
You have a load! :thumbsup:
I have started to keep different buckets for different items. That made my wife LeeAnn feel a little better about my treasure. By the way LeeAnn was the one who came up with the idea about separating the clad. Duh I had a bucket for just clad but now we have a Quarter bucket, Dime bucket, Nickel bucket and yes a penny bucket and it is not a problem. So after twenty five years married to LeeAnn I got it. :icon_sunny: It is not what I found and how much I find as long as I keep it clean and organized. Humm who would have thought the more buckets the happier LeeAnn is. Now don't get me wrong, LeeAnn is an excellent hunter with her Ace 250 but for some reason she likes to sleep in when I go out at 5:30 am, that I don't under stand. :-\
This last march is when LeeAnn came up with this brain storm idea about putting pop tops with pop tops, copper with copper, dimes with dimes etc. in there own buckets. So now when I get home I separt every thing in to buckets and throw trash in the trash.
We got a lot of snow and it was cold here in Denver so having a heated garage and trying to make the wife happy I set out to clean up my area. So I built a rack to keep my buckets in, hey it worked out good. :thumbsup: ( I don't even know how to spell carpenter) Now doing this I did have to separate all the scrap. Long story short, cashed it all in at the recycle center and they gave us a whopping $91.50 :tard: Almost fell over right there when they handed the CASH TO LEEANN! WAIT NO that is my money, give it to me I worked hard for that money! >:( I cleaned the garage, I built the rack, I did it all for you honey! LeeAnn saw the dejected look on my face and said "lets go get that new bikini top for your Jeep!" Woo Hoo I love her! Made my day big time! :3some:
I guess my point is two fold. 1, good job on cleaning up your part of the world! :thumbsup:
2, all that good trash could get you a new bikini top!

Congratulations for your dedication to the hobby.

Denver Nugget

Hello Guys & Gals from "GRB's Trash & Collection!" :)
I was at the local park one day and noticed I had company working another corner. Being somewhat the friendly sort, I walked over and introduced myself to the older lady and her grandson. I noticed right off the bat the little holes they were leaving. They both were using similiar detectors and the holes they were digging/had dug were small ones and really didn't hurt anything. Anyway, neither wore trash pouches. The more I looked, the more I noticed they were leaving their trash right there! I wanted to say something but didn't. I guess we all approach our hobby differently. Later, seeing them leave I meandered down, reworking their chosen area; meanwhile, picking up their pulltabs and stuff. In one of their holes, deeper, down another couple of inches I found a gold heart pendent with a bunch of little diamonds. I guess one of them thought it trash. It's now in my wife's jewelry drawer. I do like that kind of trash and my wife does too! :)

Hey Denver!
It sounds to me you have yourself a gem of a wife! Mine is one also. I use a bucket for pulltabs and pop tops (now).
I'd already implemented a system of plastic boxes for everything from auto parts to brass. I must have no less than 40 different ones labeled and lined up on steel shelving in the garage and basement. Isn't it incredible how fast this stuff accumulates?

Keep right on digging and collecting everyone!
GRB

I can't believe you save all that stuff. I brought some home a couple times and it sat around for a while. I ended up throwing it away. So now, when I leave the hunting area, I look for a trash can where I can deposit all the junk. More power to ya if you can sell it later on. Glad you found those coins.

Prober,
I'm an eccentric old fart; what can I say? Lol!

Saving all of this stuff was more an experiment than anything else. Right off the bat, pursueing my new/old hobby I knew with the SE I was finding a lot more stuff than I ever did back in the 80s. The new technology is, simply awesome. But habits are hard to break; I'll continue to collect my digs! That means, more pics and chances for making BANNER is down the road! :)

Blessed be The Swing!
GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back