Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED MACRO PIC CLOSEUPS AND X-RAY PHOTOS

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
[size=12pt]LOOK TO PAGE TWO FOR THE LATEST AND THE NEW MACRO PICS!!!!!!! [/size] :thumbsup:

Gambling in Atlantic City is a thing of the past. You'll make out better on the shoreline. I run with a Garrett Ace 250 and came back with this and a few pieces that I think are bayonets, various sand pennies and the mouth of an 1800's amber brown whiskey bottle. It stormed with thunder and lightning the night before, and the surf was really pounding. The beach opened at 6AM and out I went. I turned the stone over and there it was, a chain and a shiny silver coin sticking right out at me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and after the shock wore off, you should have heard me whooping it up. I put it in my bag with the shells I had been collecting prior. I didn't care at that point about breaking any of them, to me I don't think I'll ever find anything better. About a minute after I put it in my bag, an ATV cop went by me, and I ecstatically said "Hi" to him. It was probably pretty out of place, but I couldn't help it. I held onto that bag like my life depended on it all the way back to the hotel room, to show my sleeping partner the treasure I had truly found. I wonder how long it takes to embed coins and chains in to sandstone? More than 30 years, I'm sure. :laughing7: We didn't head straight home, we went to a friend of ours that owns a stones and gems shop. He'd never seen anything like this before. He told us that as is, we are looking at a value of at least $400. We plan to get the stone X-rayed at some random dentist's office to see if there may be a pendant or even a gem on the chain and if we're lucky, there may be more coins. There is an indent in the rock underneath the area that the coin is showing that could have held another coin, it is completely round and about the size of a dime. There's alot of MDing that goes on along the shores of Atlantic City and alot of iron content out there, so I bet this stone could possibly have been overlooked by others more than once. I want to get all of the sand removed that is concreted on this coin, but I'm afraid to hurt it in any way. I carefully removed some of the grains of sand with a razor blade and I am sure I didn't scratch it. It is just enough to see that some letters are still present, but not enough to identify them. I refuse to do anything more to it. I trust someone out there can get it clean. The chain located in the top left of the stone in picture one and on my finger in picture two is handmade, the ends of each link are wrapped over the next loop. It is non magnetic, but has been tested for 14 ct gold and dissolved right away at our local jewelry store, so it's more likely to be bronze. A few more links are showing on the other side of the stone from where it hangs out on the other, so most of the chain could be wrapped up inside the stone. I hope to make banner with this one! I live in Central Pennsylvania and I doubt there is anyone around here that could identify this coin as is, it is thinner and smaller than an American Dime.

Update: There have been lots of views, replies and posts for me. Read the whole post to see the progression of IDing this. We will have the Macro pics of the coin tomorrow (Thursday, October 7th). We have used Goo Gone and the sink spigot for two days (alot longer tonight than the last). It's is showing a spot in the middle of the coin, when it hadn't before, but not much more. We used aluminum wrapped around the coin with baking soda and hot water for about 5 minutes, it didn't help much. We're hoping to find a dentist to do a water pick trick on the coin, although none of the dentists we have called wanted to even do an X-Ray. We paid $105 for two X-Ray photos at Metzger Animal Hospital in State College (I had volunteered here 12 years ago, in High School. We received a phone call back from the head of the Earth and Mineral Science Building here at Penn State. The head of the Department gave me an e-mail for a lady in the Anthroplogy Department. She has lived in Florida and has worked with shipwrecks. Just waiting to hear back from her now. Thanks for the five coin rating, on the My Best Finds Forum, but to see how this is progressing, it goes to show you, that everyone wants to find treasure, but the time and effort it takes to ID and find it's place in history, takes alot of work and patience. No one sees that in the beginning, then you find something good and you realize. Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Treasure 1.jpg
    Treasure 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7,226
  • Treasure 4.jpg
    Treasure 4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7,225
  • Chain_Closeup.JPG
    Chain_Closeup.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,873
  • Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,793
  • Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,818
  • Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,798
  • Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,866
  • X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,801
  • X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,797
Upvote 0
Thanks BigCy.

Bobinsd, over time wouldn't CLR eat through the encrusted metals and possibly weaken the hold on the coin? I'm not sure.

Allarmerosso, at different angles, you see different things on this coin. Are there any coins with the letters "rey"?

To all: Today, Wednesday, October, 20th, we are taking it in to Lee, in the Anthropology Department at Penn State, who has worked on many shipwrecks. She will at least be able to tell us if it's modern or not. I'll let you know how I make out. Wish me luck.

Awesome find! :headbang: You could try silver jewelry cleaner polish, citric acid(Lemon Juice), or hydrogen peroxide to clean some of the coins up to get a better look! Just be careful about the exposure time with these chemicals on the pieces! Test a little for 10 seconds, see what happens, if nothing increase +10 seconds and so forth! Hope this helps! :icon_sunny:

As for the iron that washes up on AC beaches :icon_scratch: is probably from PA strip coal mining that eventually floated down the Susquehanna River into the Chesapeake Watershed then floated into the bay and up through the Atlantic Ocean to Atlantic City!! As for the garbage theory from NY/NJ, I was always under belief that most of the stuff that washed up into Atlantic City would be from the South and not the North :dontknow: I hope you get some real concrete id's on this mystery piece!! :icon_sunny:

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. Your moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas, you have just crossed over into the twilight zone.

orion024 said:
Awesome find! :headbang: You could try silver jewelry cleaner polish, citric acid(Lemon Juice), or hydrogen peroxide to clean some of the coins up to get a better look! Just be careful about the exposure time with these chemicals on the pieces! Test a little for 10 seconds, see what happens, if nothing increase +10 seconds and so forth! Hope this helps! :icon_sunny:

As for the iron that washes up on AC beaches :icon_scratch: is probably from PA strip coal mining that eventually floated down the Susquehanna River into the Chesapeake Watershed then floated into the bay and up through the Atlantic Ocean to Atlantic City!! As for the garbage theory from NY/NJ, I was always under belief that most of the stuff that washed up into Atlantic City would be from the South and not the North :dontknow: I hope you get some real concrete id's on this mystery piece!! :icon_sunny:

orion024, Thanks for the cleaning suggestion, but I'm going to have this cleaned by a professional. Lee, from the Anthropology Department at Penn State is going to send an e-mail to a qualified individual, with some of my pics. Hopefully, I can send this to him to get this done. It was awesome seeing her lab there. She let me see pieces of the earliest shipwreck ever found in the U.S.A. (including a wooden nail and a piece of the floor boards), and wood from an early Spanish/American fort. It was the greatest feeling to be that close to early American history. Mesmerizing, actually. She mentioned that there are shipwreck projects looking for volunteers, I'll be looking into that. She thinks this stone could be old and she let me see pictures of the Queen Anne's Revenge cannon metal concretions. I agree, it looks similar. We won't know anything until we ID the coin. She thought it was a dime until she saw the coin, she mentioned the 1/2 Reale, but doesn't know what it is now. I agree with you, orion, what washes up on the Atlantic City beach should be from the South. Hurricanes don't come down from the North.

Thanks thrillathahunt and 1320 for your comments and compliments.

(Off subject, I found a 1909 no mint mark VDB Penny in a Federal Roll, just yesterday, what's the odds of that? I've been beating the odds alot lately, maybe I should try a shot at the Lottery. :laughing9: LOL!!! Nah, gambling is not my thing, I have better luck finding coins!) Thanks for watching and waiting, and for all your comments and suggestions. I promise to keep you all posted with the latest news on the stone.

:icon_scratch:

Can anybody tell me were this thread is going :help: are we going to see the coin removed from the Bog Chain :-\

SS

It's a dime. It is not worth anything but the silver value, if it is silver. Why not chip the crud off and find out what it is and leave off all the drama?

Sheesh! All this foreplay over a rock. Just hit the freeking thing with a hammer and get it over with! :headbang: :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :icon_thumleft: ;D

1liquigirl said:
She mentioned that there are shipwreck projects looking for volunteers, I'll be looking into that.
sounds interesting.

Silver Searcher said:
:icon_scratch:

Can anybody tell me were this thread is going :help: are we going to see the coin removed from the Bog Chain :-\

SS

Silver Searcher, I mentioned earlier in the thread what the ultimate result will be. The coin will be cleaned professionally, by Mark or possibly another party that is coming to Penn State to oversee a project Lee is working on, an early Spanish/American fort. (I got to see some of the wood from the fort itself when I was at her lab. It was awesome.) If the coin is old, as she thinks it could be, then we will look into that time frame, and shipwrecks of the coast that it might be affiliated with. If it's a possibility it could be linked to a shipwreck, then I have the opportunity to do more, and have the stone cleaned completely down to just what it holds inside it. If not, I wish to keep the coin and stone as one piece with just the face of the coin cleaned. I hope that all of you who are following this thread, read all the new posts to see the latest news, as it comes, even if it takes a while, as I know it will. Cleaning a piece and doing it the right way takes time. It may take a few months of cleaning to get all the items out of the stone, if the coin is old and is in the right time frame for a shipwreck. Patience is a virtue, and it's been testing mine and yours, and I thank you all for watching and reading the posts.

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Yeah, :icon_scratch:

What is the end result, I'd like to know what that coin is ? :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

MUD(S.W.A.T.), I'm sure alot of us want to know what the coin is, as I know I do, but it's going to take a while. Look to my post for SilverSearcher, above my reply to you. That's where we are now, the end is months away, sorry for the wait. It's a hard thing to be patient for. Keep watching, I'll keep you posted on the latest.

Curious The George said:
It's a dime. It is not worth anything but the silver value, if it is silver. Why not chip the crud off and find out what it is and leave off all the drama?

Curious The George, It is silver, Lee thought it was a dime from the pictures, but was unsure of that once she saw it in person. Look to my previous postings on that and for the first reply to Silver Searcher on this post for where the progress of this stands right now. It's a long process, sorry if it seems a bit dramaticized, but the excitement still stands during the wait.

coinshooter said:
Sheesh! All this foreplay over a rock. Just hit the freeking thing with a hammer and get it over with! :headbang: :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :icon_thumleft: ;D

coinshooter, I can't do that and preserve the items properly. I have to do this the right way, whatever the wait. Look to my reply to Silver Searcher on this reply to see what the gameplan is. It will take months but the final result will be worth it. Thanks for watching and keep looking here from time to time.

bigcypresshunter said:
1liquigirl said:
She mentioned that there are shipwreck projects looking for volunteers, I'll be looking into that.
sounds interesting.

It IS interesting, bigcy, it is good to see you're still here, unfortunately, the end is months away. But, keep watching, as I've promised to keep you all updated, and that is what I will do, until the very end.

Attachments

• civil war.JPG
    civil war.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 588
  • chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 597
I've been a relic hunter for 40 years........and I just don't get all of the hoopla over,........ this?

But I will be nice and jump on the bandwagon and say nice find!?!?
REB

artzstuff1 said:
WHOOP TEE DOOOOO!!!!!!! YAWN!!!!!!!!
55th Massachusetts said:
I've been a relic hunter for 40 years........and I just don't get all of the hoopla over,........ this?

But I will be nice and jump on the bandwagon and say nice find!?!?
REB
;D We dont know what it is so I dont know if its a nice find or not or deserving of any hoopla. I just posted the chain showing that its possible to be from something other than a toilet. Maybe I should have left it alone. My bad. :violent1:

Personally I'm ashamed of the old veterans of this hobby who come here and make rude comments about the importance of this find. She is new at this hobby we share and maybe you are all just too old & grumpy to remember the excitment of your first really interesting finds. Like my mom used to tell me.. if you have nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut.. Looking forward to finding out what this is even if it's just toilet parts & a silver Roosie. HH

Much ado about not much. Cant believe this thread is still going, hope that with all the hype that it is more than a rosie and toilet chain, but not holding my breath.
Good luck on Id!

If you really want to see whats inside,50% water 50% vinegar and let it soak over night. Then check the progress. If it is copper it will pit it. But won't hurt the silver...Good find. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back