Treasure of Lima Island/Hoax Discoveries

Hard to say. I don't open unknown PDFs. Maybe you could post screenshots of the contents of the PDF?

Attachments

• IMG_3967.png
    IMG_3967.png
    218 KB · Views: 10
Thanks. What makes you think it's a hoax?

For what it's worth, I don't know whether it's true or not. But a web search doesn't bring back very many hits (and it seems like it would, for a find of such magnitude). This supposedly happened in 2016, but I only saw one source (the Vatican Enquirer) and others pointing back to it. But then an article in Forbes in 2019 talking specifically about treasure in Costa Rica doesn't even mention this find. So, I don't know -- seems a bit sketchy to me without more confirmation.

For what it's worth, I don't know whether it's true or not. But a web search doesn't bring back very many hits (and it seems like it would, for a find of such magnitude). This supposedly happened in 2016, but I only saw one source (the Vatican Enquirer) and others pointing back to it. But then an article in Forbes in 2019 talking specifically about treasure in Costa Rica doesn't even mention this find. So, I don't know -- seems a bit sketchy to me without more confirmation.
Howdy - Would you post a cite to that Forbes article? I'd appreciate it. We were recently in Costa Rica - not th'ing, however...

As for that Cocos article, "World News Daily" doesn't appear to be a reliable source. And, as you point out, the lack of follow-up is rather telling.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Same things that you’ve listed. Lack of attention.

Yep, it's a fake article. It just repeats another source without checking the veracity of it: that source no longer exists.

Thank you very much! I certainly appreciate it.

Now I can read about a treasure I missed.

San Francisco has a long association with Cocos Island treasure hunters. I vividly remember being in a bookstore (sadly, now long gone) near the Civic Center and I spotted the spine title "My Search for the Missing Millions." I guessed it was about WW II. I pulled it out and it turned out to be a rare copy of "Chetwood's" privately published account of Captain "Brawn" and the voyage of the Herman. Inscribed by the author to Charles Warren Stoddard. $4.75.

It remains a prized item in my library of treasure hunting literature. It's too bad the author of The Voyage of the Herman (an excellent book, by the way) didn't know about it. That is how rare it is.

Again - thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back