Treasure Mountain, CO - Lost Frenchmens Gold

There's a Sheep Mountain about 60 miles to the NW, is that the peak you are talking about?
It's that across Wolf Creek to the northwest from Treasure mountain.

Any chance you can post it? I'd love to see it if its available...
The map is shown in the link posted by "sdcfia" few posts back. Here is the reversed version where the letter E beside the sunburst near a cross, is in the correct place. In the original map this letter is reversed. This clue "tells" the cache is true west from the spot where the sun rises at 6 o'clock in the morning, above that specific cross. Of course the map it's not oriented north but the map maker use the X's as a code for the degrees. A common practice in the Spanish/Mexican treasure maps.
The E from the compass is missing too, so the west could be on both sides.

Attachments

• LeBlanc map.png
    LeBlanc map.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The map is shown in the link posted by "sdcfia" few posts back. Here is the reversed version where the letter E beside the sunburst near a cross, is in the correct place. In the original map this letter is reversed. This clue "tells" the cache is true east from the spot where the sun rises at 6 o'clock in the morning, above that specific cross. Of course the map it's not oriented north but the map maker use the X's as a code for the degrees. A common practice in the Spanish/Mexican treasure maps.
The E from the compass is missing too, so the west could be on both sides.
Not often I see something on here I haven't seen before...but that map is the definition of "that's new to me." Thanks for sharing it...

The only source I have ever found other than Temple Cornelius referencing La Ventana treasure would be the book by Maynard Cornett Adams titled "La Ventana (The Window) 1684 - 1770". Self published in 2004. Adams has since past away. I have not been able to find this book. I have the Citadel series of books he wrote about "Treasure Mountain". It would be nice to compare his version against Temple Cornelius Sheepherders Gold.
There appears to be a copy in the Denver Public Library.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I just watched the YouTube documentary, that was horrible. It doesn’t seem like they even read any of the 1911 or 1921 articles. It never even tells how Yule and Poor came into possession of the maps and manuscripts, they just had them somehow, terrible journalism. Also, that is not the real map for those who want to search for this treasure, that is the one they came up with for this show. There is a map that some “boots on the ground” searchers have, but that is not it.

Only the results show which map is real and which is fake. I don't dismiss there could be another map of the same treasure. There always has been, made by different people with different concepts and views.
Boots on the ground says nothing, without the knowledge in reading treasure maps. Those researchers, in their mind, believe they are searching for treasure, but in reality they are just hiking, like many others who are doing it as a hobby.

Only the results show which map is real and which is fake. I don't dismiss there could be another map of the same treasure. There always has been, made by different people with different concepts and views.
Boots on the ground says nothing, without the knowledge in reading treasure maps. Those researchers, in their mind, believe they are searching for treasure, but in reality they are just hiking, like many others who are doing it as a hobby.
Very true, you wouldn’t know that map is fake unless you used the real one to find the three caches.

Very true, you wouldn’t know that map is fake unless you used the real one to find the three caches.
There are not three caches. Why someone would hide a cache about 1 cubic feet in three different places? More places, more trouble.

Last edited:
There are not three caches. Why someone would hide a cache 1' high by 3' square in three different places? More places, more trouble.
I thought one of the established elements of the story is that the French miners had multiple cache stes with the intention of "gathering them as we go" as they made their way South to the treasure fleets. This was one aspect (of many) that leads me to feel this might be a treasure that's one in the same with the LUE.

I thought one of the established elements of the story is that the French miners had multiple cache stes with the intention of "gathering them as we go" as they made their way South to the treasure fleets. This was one aspect (of many) that leads me to feel this might be a treasure that's one in the same with the LUE.
Elements of the story deduced from the maps? None cross marker is south of the mine marker, as the map shows. With that mindset, they could hide the cache close to Taos. IMHO, they chose a place easily recognizable, safe from the elements and visible from the mine.
Also, I believe LUE treasure is in NM and has nothing to do with this one in CO.

Have any of you Treasure Mountain searchers ever heard any treasure legends associated with the area close to Pike's Stockade?

I've tried the Spanish to English translator for Sierro del Ojito and get Mountains of the Eye or Hill of the Eye. Can any of you Spanish speakers confirm this? Thank you.

I've tried the Spanish to English translator for Sierro del Ojito and get Mountains of the Eye or Hill of the Eye. Can any of you Spanish speakers confirm this? Thank you.
My Mexican pal tells me most people would say to "watch out, be careful on that mountain", or possibly, "look carefully on that mountain"

My Mexican pal tells me most people would say to "watch out, be careful on that mountain", or possibly, "look carefully on that mountain"
Thank you very much.

There's some interesting stuff here. I might have more to post on my LUE clue thread, after I do some more research.

Thanks again, sdc.

Found this article about a Treasure Mountain expedition in the 1990’s. I don’t know if it ever got off the ground. Note the paragraph about a 19th century attempt made by the governor of Sante Fe.

Keep us posted :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back