Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings everyone. I was able to get out for a hunt earlier today. Good signals were few until I passed my coil over a very rotted tree branch. Yup...there was something there with a VDI in the low 80's. I turned over the rotted branch and came face to face with this beast!

DSC02309.JPG

This treasure lizard encouraged me to dig....so I did! He was sitting on a small pocket spill of IHP's and a lovely seated dime.

DSC02319.JPG
DSC02322.JPG
DSC02304.JPG

All in all there were six Indians when I got done cleaning out the hole. I was a little perplexed by the lower than expected VDI ( lower 80's @ 11.7 khz), but then realized that there was some iron in the hole too...maybe part of a iron skeleton key.

DSC02325.JPG

A very satisfying hunt overall! Thanks for taking a peek. Cheers!

Upvote 34
Congratulations on a great spill. I hate to break the news, but that is a spotted salamander, not a lizard. He was the unofficial guardian of your treasure until you came to claim it. Way to go, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Huge congrats "Sivermonkey" on a great spill find !! Top shelf find.
Over the years I have come across those Spotted Salamanders in & around The Blue Hills.
I'm speculating, but could "Sal" have been sitting atop the copper & silver spill for some warmth after the Sun goes down? Copper, silver & gold maintains the heat from the Sun longer than the normal soil of the Earth does.
Or, maybe "Sal" has arthritis & the copper helped ease his pains. :laughing7:

That is one awesome little spill congrats. When I was young I saved a salamander just like that one. He was in a parking lot and his tail was missing. Long story short I kept him and he lived with me for 10 years. Tail grew back and he was so fat and happy living off crickets. I would hand feed him some times. Good little dude. His name was Stormy.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I thought " Treasure Lizard" sounded more exciting than "spotted salamander", so I went with that. I like Jose the Goon's theory about "Sal" sitting on those copper to help with his arthritis! Poor critter.
I haven't come across a seated coin in quite some time, so that, combined with a whole tribe of Indians was quite exciting!

Congratulations on a great spill. I hate to break the news, but that is a spotted salamander, not a lizard. He was the unofficial guardian of your treasure until you came to claim it. Way to go, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Yeap reminds me more of what we call a Newt (needs damp conditions) rather than a lizard that normally needs the opposite.
Anyways nice piece of Nature.

Part of me really wants a treasure lizard now but part of me knows I would be temporarily be terrified of it! Nice spill!!

Greetings everyone. I was able to get out for a hunt earlier today. Good signals were few until I passed my coil over a very rotted tree branch. Yup...there was something there with a VDI in the low 80's. I turned over the rotted branch and came face to face with this beast!

View attachment 2089061

This treasure lizard encouraged me to dig....so I did! He was sitting on a small pocket spill of IHP's and a lovely seated dime.

View attachment 2089064View attachment 2089065View attachment 2089066

All in all there were six Indians when I got done cleaning out the hole. I was a little perplexed by the lower than expected VDI ( lower 80's @ 11.7 khz), but then realized that there was some iron in the hole too...maybe part of a iron skeleton key.

View attachment 2089068
A very satisfying hunt overall! Thanks for taking a peek. Cheers!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Better a treasure lizard than a treasure snake, in my opinion 😁. Nice story and finds. I rarely find Seated coins, and that’s a good one. Exciting coin spill. Congrats!

Last edited:
Here's my latest...found near an old spring head. No spill though.

Attachments

• 20230515_123719.jpg
    20230515_123719.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230516_122002.jpg
    20230516_122002.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back