Treasure from Eleuthera

Laura

Oct 10, 2007
Hi - I just found this forum. Yippee!! I posted a "what is it" and then found this section which seems more appropriate for my find.

I visit Eleuthera a few times each year and like to visit one particular beach where I always find great stuff. Most of my treasures so far have been really old pieces of bottles - black glass with bubbles. I found this object a few months ago when I was standing in the water, about waist deep. I spotted it sticking up between two pieces of coral where it had been wedged for who knows how long. Someone told me it could be a belaying pin?? or a piece of equipment used to determine the distance a boat had traveled. I know nothing about ships, so would appreciate any ideas you have. The one little piece that's shiny is where I polished. It's about 7 inches long and the skinny center part is about 1.5 inches. Thank you for your thoughts!! Laura

Attachments

• objectfromsea.jpg
    objectfromsea.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 301
  • objectfromsea.jpg
    objectfromsea.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 300
Eeluthera, Bahamas, right? Looks like it was used for pulling a strap or rope perhaps? Certainly seems to have wear in the middle section.

Upvote 0
Yes, Eleuthera, Bahamas. I found this on the Atlantic side about 30 miles south of North Eleuthera. There are some shipwrecks in the area, but none close to where I found this and the bottle pieces.

Upvote 0
Hello Laura,
It looks like the rear "cleat" from an older 13 foot Boston Whaler. they tend to pull loose after many years! This is the only pic I could find you can only see one half of the cleat!
Troy

Attachments

• 86dc_12.jpg
    86dc_12.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back