318.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Tools5.JPG
    Tools5.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Tools4.JPG
    Tools4.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
I don't see any edge work probly just reduction flakes IMO ;)

Here's one with edge work hope this helps

Attachments

• image-265412060.jpg
    image-265412060.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 98
I find flakes that have been altered. We call them flakers. I posted one today. They are flakes removed but have edge work only.....flakers. I dont know if yours are flakers or not.

Attachments

• SDC10874.JPG
    SDC10874.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
The knife looking piece was found about 80 miles away from the rhyolite source (in the Uwharrie Mtns). The other two scraper looking pieces were found about 30 miles away. Why would they that one piece be transported that far? I really believe the chances are in the favor of them being tools. Does secondary flaking always mean that it was used or can the tool itself be much more simpler in design? IMO, I see a flake knife/scraper and a turtle back scraper. The last one is a scraper with some secondary flaking (notice the light and dark colors) and it has the cortex on the top. Again, these materials were not found at a quarrying site. They look simple and apparently they are not perfect b/c the materials were used up.

Here's some different views.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    573.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    486.2 KB · Views: 107
Debitage (flakes) are common around sites where raw materials were broken down. I found no evidence of that where I found these. If I saw any flakes, they were smaller resharpening flakes or a piece broken off of an actual arrowhead. I've picked up true flakes from an actual quarry/utility site before. I know a place where I could actually take a picture of some flakes at right now. Honestly, it's really hard to imagine these as flakes when I found these with other collectors and they're saying what I am. I'm not imaging this by myself b/c I have been influenced by another. Heck, I was told to keep 'em, really! These were not intentionally retouched to have that nice lithic appearance, they were made or left this way from being used as a tool. When you're searching a site, you're not always going to find the perfect arrowheads or nicely re-chipped tools. There are quicker and simpler ways to make a piece of material utilizable and when they're used, a rock is what is left anyway. Ever heard of rigging? It's like oops, I screwed that up but I'm going to use that piece anyway like this. It don't have to be perfect but it got the job done when needed in a survival situation. That evidence is clear. Compare mine to this one; you all will love this: Authentic Indian Knife Scraper Tool Artifact Arrowhead Personal Find | eBay. Dang, are ebay sellers starting to imagine things too?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That piece you showed different views of looks worked to me. It's one thing if it's got work. A sharp edge of a broken rock does not an artifact make. This, however, seems worked. Yak

All I see is rocks....Better luck next time...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

I really think NC artifacts are different than any other states. Unless one has quite a few hours of walking, hunting and observing various NC sites under their belt, rough tools are and should be hard to distinguish. Flint is replaced with rhyolite here. Rhyolite doesn't handle the elements as well as flint. Where you found the pieces posted above, I promise you will find nicer artifacts with similar edge work. Those finds will be the answer to your question.

I have to agree NC has some of the roughest looking material I have ever seen for artifacts.

Exactly.,. Little pieces of rocks that used to be part of a bigger pieces of rocks.. That were once part of bigger rocks... Or as many would say just rocks .. Not tools and could never be proven to have been used since no work was done to them and there's no obvious wear from use.
I have a bunch of rayholite and quartz from North Carolina I can definitely tell the difference between tools and debris.

ForumRunner_20140507_194618.png

Last edited:
All I see is rocks....Better luck next time...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

And this guy has seen a lot of them

Debitage (flakes) are common around sites where raw materials were broken down. I found no evidence of that where I found these. If I saw any flakes, they were smaller resharpening flakes or a piece broken off of an actual arrowhead. I've picked up true flakes from an actual quarry/utility site before. I know a place where I could actually take a picture of some flakes at right now. Honestly, it's really hard to imagine these as flakes when I found these with other collectors and they're saying what I am. I'm not imaging this by myself b/c I have been influenced by another. Heck, I was told to keep 'em, really! These were not intentionally retouched to have that nice lithic appearance, they were made or left this way from being used as a tool. When you're searching a site, you're not always going to find the perfect arrowheads or nicely re-chipped tools. There are quicker and simpler ways to make a piece of material utilizable and when they're used, a rock is what is left anyway. Ever heard of rigging? It's like oops, I screwed that up but I'm going to use that piece anyway like this. It don't have to be perfect but it got the job done when needed in a survival situation. That evidence is clear. Compare mine to this one; you all will love this: Authentic Indian Knife Scraper Tool Artifact Arrowhead Personal Find | eBay. Dang, are ebay sellers starting to imagine things too?

Yes you did find evidence of that you posted it here... You can type an entire essay about them and they will still be just debris.
Every piece of broken rock anywhere near a site cannot be considered a tool just because you think it is ...if there's no evidence there's no evidence.
If you want to see the most ridiculous things described as artifacts that you could ever believe and get a really good laugh at people trying to sell them go to Ebay... That last statement is absolute proof to me that you're very new to this.. I guarantee you you will come away with more experience and knowledge if you spend a little bit more time paying attention to other people and what they say rather than typing such long responses that basically just go against the opinion you asked for.. You found some flakes be happy about it it's evident that you will probably find actual complete artifacts there like projectile points and tools all you have there are reduction flakes

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Love the eBay listing!! "Found by me ,guaranteed authentic" lol Artifact = an object or tool showing human workmanship and modification as distinguished from a natural object

I think its worth transporting that thing here.
There is evidence that a human was breaking down stone at the time this piece came to be.. there is 0 evidence that this piece was fashioned in any way shape or form to be used on its own... The angles you see on pieces like this are from previous flakes being removed while this was still a part of the spall.

ForumRunner_20140507_201409.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back