Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I found this and am fairly certain that it is a tool tag, any help is appreciated. Sadly, the back is fairly difficult to read and I can only make out a small amount if it. Once again, thanks for all the help.

Front: " JAS. MURDOCK. JR." "THOS. M. ROBBINS" "29"

Back: "SEAL PRESSES, glas. Muxxckg, RACES CIN'TI, STAMP CUTTER..."
20200920_162523.jpg20200920_162534.jpg

Could also be an employee tag - so they know who is in (especially handy in mines).

7784147333028408605.jpg

Upvote 0
This doesn’t help determine what your tag was for, but the maker is very clear. James Murdock Jr. was a prolific engraver and die sinker producing all manner of items including medals and tokens. After service in the Civil War, he returned to the employer with whom he had learnt his trade: John Stanton of Cincinnati and then bought out the business together with a partner to become "Murdock & Spencer" at 139 Fifth Street. From 1869 he was using the trading name “Jas. Murdock Jr.” and then “James Murdock Jr. Co” from 1906.

That gives you the time frame for your tag and you can narrow it down a bit more. The writing on the back repeats the name as “Jas. Murdock Jr.” and gives his address as “Race St.” (the loop of the ‘J’ drops down between “Race” and “St.”). He was operating out of 165 Race Street between 1875-1887.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congratulations on an interesting find!

Red-Coat, your knowledge about these kind of item is amazing! Thanks and keep it up!

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the help, especially Red-Coat, the knowledgeable are always astounding and very helpful. I will try and and use the time period outlined to help figure out who it once belonged to.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back