Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the turf this morning at 7:00 and the temp was already 83 degrees!? By 8:30 it was 92 degrees!? Found a clad penny, went home and will look for a cool spot for the rest of the day.? It may be harder to find than a mercury dime!? No rain in nearly a month and my water bill is out of sight! I water my front lawn only and the backyard is dead, dead!? Gasoline is up to $2.39? a gal. here so can't make those longer trips to hunt in my gas guzzler 4X4 pickup!? I now takes right at $90.00 to fill 'er up!? Some local politicians want to up gasoline tax by a nickel a gallon to pay for highway improvements.? Not needed if you can't afford to drive!? Talk about your terrible timing!? " A penny saved is a penny earned", Poor Richard.? What's that old dead fool know that I don't?? Things are tough all over!? ? JIM

Found a site that should be required reading for all members; Symptoms and treatment for heat exhaustion: http//www.surviveoutdoors.com/reference/heatexhaustion.asp

Upvote 0
jimmileo said:
Stoney 56 lives not far from a refinery and there are two of them here in Tulsa!? Being close to a refinery doesn't make much difference!? That $2.39 a gal was yesterday afternoon.? The clerk said it was going up again today but I haven't checked. I remember being a teenager and going on a date for $10.00!? You could buy enough gas to drive anywhere in town and back several times for a buck, pay for your entertainment, have a burger and drink after and still have change!? Last time I took my wife out to dinner and a movie it was nearly a hundred dollars! That's a thousand percent inflation! JIM
Things keep going up like this, we'll have to make a trip or two to the oil wells out in the field and get some drip gas to offset the price. ?;) Yeah Jim, about 4 blocks from the refinery-when the cracker breaks down the torch is bright enough to sit on the porch and read by.
But got even more rain tonight-think it's enough to get out in the morning and dig some good finds. Will keep you posted.

I wonder what would happen if for only 3 days no one in the USA bought gasoline? Imagine an oil company selling 10 million gallons of gasoline a day suddenly only sells say 1.5 million gallons? Someone would have to pay attention. I'm all for the free enterprise system and everyone being able to make a buck but what I am seeing is bordering on fraud. The oil companies are charging the consumers a premium price on oil products today that they bought much lower than the $66.00 a barrel they paid today. I don't know the exact figures but right now and for the near future they are refining crude they bought for around,say, $46.00 a barrel but we are still being charged the $66.00 rate! That's what is known as charging the customer based on "futures" or what the price of crude will be in the future, not what it actually is. Price gouging? Hell yes! But especially those of us who must depend on transportation to do our jobs will have to pay it regardless and there's just not much we can do about it except voice protest. I'm lucky being retired there aren't too many places I just have to go, except maybe doctors appointments, one trip a week to the grocery store or dtug store, etc............and oh yes, trips to metal detect! Of course the higher transportation costs will double to the consumer in time as the transportation based industries will have to pass the added costs along to us. So, the consumer is being hit with a double whammy! And what about heating and cooling costs? Those of you back east that use fuel oil for heating are really going to feel it this winter. I use natural gas which is not dependent on crude oil, rather is a by product, but I will bet you right now there will be a significant hike in natural gas prices this fall. Any takers? JIM

Woke up this morning to the sound of rain on the roof! Apparently started sometime during the night and has been steady for several hours. We really needed it too, but now I am stuck inside and can't go THing this morning. It's supposed to let up on and off all day so maybe I can get a few hours in between showers? Really cooled things off nice too. So, here I sit at nearly &:30 AM ready and waiting for the rain to stop. You can't have it both ways! JIM

Too hot, too humid, too dry! Finally getting a little bit of rain this weekend but it's not steady and it doesn't last long enough to soak in. Temp's have been 90+ and is now forecasting to be only 80 degrees for the upcoming week.

Gas prices shot up over 10 cents in two days here, as of yesterday is was $2.65 for the cheap stuff.
I thought at one time that the deisel was cheaper? Now it's 10 cents more than the high grade, glad I drive a small vehicle these days. But still can't afford to go travel around for metal detecting, I ned the gas just to get to work and back!
I know there's a few of you out there that have the age of some of the older days ;D but even I can remember when I paid something like $1.19 a gallon. Those days are "history" now.

I have made it out to a few selected areas locally for MD'ing but have only found a few wheaties, not complaining about them though, at least I'm finding some oldies.

You know its hot when I don't feel like coin fishin! ;D 2.59 a gal.here.Hit a farm yesterday and found 2 clad pennies and a 1958d wheat in about 30 min but again,too damn hot to hit it much.

peace,bigrig

We have a neighborhood next to the refinery that was bought up by the oil co. because thereis ground seepage of product. This area has recently been expanded and now there's another 20 or so homes that have been bought up and vacated.
Went out after the rain yesterday evening and found a number of clad, a ring although gold plated, and a silver rosie. Another friend found some wheats and a couple of mercs. Going back out in a bit after sharpening digger, will try for pics as well.
As for gas price gouging, we have about 4 Quick Trips that are owned by a gentleman that also just so happens to be a gas distributor (wholesaler). He buys from himself and delivers the gasoline, and just so happens that he's the first to raise gas prices in town. He jacks the prices at least twice between deliveries at 8 to 11 cents per raise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back