North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Token , Button, & Thimbles oh my!

I killed a few hours after work today at my usual lunch time farm spot. I hit the large area in front of the house which I can't do during my lunch in case the boss happens to drive by and see me. :o ;D
Although if he did, I would just tell him I'm out there trying to supplement my income. ;)
Anywho, I haven't hit this area too hard, and it shows. I picked these items up today rather quickly and I'm sure there will be more.
Here's my finds:

*Two old thimbles

*A large flower looking copper piece.
Any ideas on this one? It is hollow in back and follows the same contour as the front.

*A 1939 Nickel. Pay no attention to that scratch. ;D I didn't know Jefferson nickles even went back that far.

* A nice "B & B - Extra" gold gilt flower button. Circa 1834-1843.

*A small "PRT" token - Philadelphia Rapid Transit from the early 1900's I think. No idea what it was doing here?

That's all folks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 622
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 634
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 632
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 629
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 632
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 629
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 619
Upvote 0
Re: Token , Button, & Thimbles oh my!

CRUSADER said:
The flower thing is an early furniture decoration.

Thanks Crusader. That's what I thought it would be, as there was no attachment piece on the back.
You would have been proud of me today. I got a faint signal with the Tesoro, dug deep, and pulled out a tiny old thumb tack. ;D The tack pin part is like an old square nail. Not round like today's tacks, but squared edges.
Not a great find, but you steered me in the right direction on digging the "iffys". ;)
-MM-

Born Free said:
I agree with TreasureTales, there are molar bite marks on the thimbles, which would kinda explain why there are so many out there in the ground. Maybe they are bit on like people bite on bullets. Any comments, Bioprofessor?! :D

Geez, please don't get Bioprofessor going on bitten thimbles! ;D Just kidding Bio. We love ya. ;)
MM-

PBK said:
Good stuff!

The "B & B" backmark is that of Benedict & Burnham, c. 1834-43.

PBK,
Thank you for the ID. I received my copy of Warren Tice's button book yesterday. WOW, what a book!
I found that 1812 "Strong Forever" (Caleb Strong) Massachusetts button in there that you and Warren helped me ID last year. It was on the last page of the Massachusetts button section. Sounds somewhat rare.
I'm enjoying the book.
Thanks,
Doug

You guys are driving me crazy, it may be July before we thaw out. I'd love a day like that, great group of finds! So.....when are you hitting the front yard again?

civilman1 said:
You need disguise's for the bossman Doug....Just don't pull out the dress!! (He) might roll up the driveway :-* Nice find's once again....Hit that place hard!!!

He's a little Indian guy. As long as I don't dress up as a giant Slurpie, I should be o.k. ;)
"Thank you, come again."
-MM-

COUNTRY GIRL said:
You guys are driving me crazy, it may be July before we thaw out. I'd love a day like that, great group of finds! So.....when are you hitting the front yard again?

I went over there today, but went out in the woods. I should have spent my lunch in the front yard though, as all I found were shotgun shells in the woods. I found a few relics at the 1830's house after work. I'll post those when I find a few more things.
I will probably hit the front yard again tomorrow.
It's supposed to get nasty cold here starting Thursday. :'(
-MM-

TreasureTales said:
ModernMiner said:
CRUSADER said:

Thanks Crusader. That's what I thought it would be, as there was no attachment piece on the back.
You would have been proud of me today. I got a faint signal with the Tesoro, dug deep, and pulled out a tiny old thumb tack. ;D The tack pin part is like an old square nail. Not round like today's tacks, but squared edges.
Not a great find, but you steered me in the right direction on digging the "iffys". ;)
-MM-

Could your tack pin be for furniture upholstery? A pic of it, please, if possible. Thank you.

TT,
Here's a picture of my old tack. What do you think?
-MM-

Attachments

• IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 295

Hey MM, nice bunch of "stuff. I noticed that the 39 nickle had a giant "gouge" OhOhOh I forgot that I wasn't suppose to mention that.

"may there always be a road"

Les

I never really gave thimbles much thought. I just looked in some of my old misc. boxes and I have found a handful of silver ones over the years. What’s going on with that? I find thimbles very often now that I think about it. Kinda strange………Where there roaming bands of seamstresses in the mid 1800’s? hhhhmmmmm.

Dougetta, I think it's great that you've been finding thimbles. And if that's a silver one...that's an especially good dig. :)

I've only found one or two thimbles....and always wish I would find more lost female possessions. Almost everything I find is a man drop....a yucky old ax, a dumb ole rusty saw, lost suspender clips.

I'm kidding. I love it all. But find very little evidence of a female presence at my cellarhole hunts. :-\

diggerfororo said:
Hey MM, nice bunch of "stuff. I noticed that the 39 nickle had a giant "gouge" OhOhOh I forgot that I wasn't suppose to mention that.

"may there always be a road"
Les

Les,
I think it may be an ultra rare 39' Scarface Nickel? I'm still trying to find it listed in my coin book though. ;) ;D
-MM-

rebelLT said:
I never really gave thimbles much thought. I just looked in some of my old misc. boxes and I have found a handful of silver ones over the years. What’s going on with that? I find thimbles very often now that I think about it. Kinda strange………Where there roaming bands of seamstresses in the mid 1800’s? hhhhmmmmm.

Rebel,
"Roaming bands of seamstresses". Good one! ;D ;D ;D
Some folks may think finding an old thimble is just sew sew, but I like digging them up. ;)
-MM-

Mona Lisa said:
Dougetta, I think it's great that you've been finding thimbles. And if that's a silver one...that's an especially good dig. :)

I've only found one or two thimbles....and always wish I would find more lost female possessions. Almost everything I find is a man drop....a yucky old ax, a dumb ole rusty saw, lost suspender clips.

I'm kidding. I love it all. But find very little evidence of a female presence at my cellarhole hunts. :-\

Thanks Mona.
I'm still looking for a nice brooch to go with this years dress pictures. ;) It would be too heavy to wear an old ax head hanging around my neck. ;D
-MM-

ModernMiner said:
CRUSADER said:

-MM-

Good work, by the end of the year you will own a stunning collection.

Cool Tokens! Love the thimble too.

First congrats on finding some really nice stuff. As far as the boss is concerned........Get him into the hobby and maybe, just maybe your lunch time will be a little extended if he is out with you ! lol

What I see is newer site on top of an older site. I think there is much more to be found , you have a nice Silver thimble. Having thimbles of silver and copper ment in some cases that you had money to afford them. There may be other goodies just waiting to be found....... Good luck going back !

The Seeker

The Seeker said:
First congrats on finding some really nice stuff. As far as the boss is concerned........Get him into the hobby and maybe, just maybe your lunch time will be a little extended if he is out with you ! lol

What I see is newer site on top of an older site. I think there is much more to be found , you have a nice Silver thimble. Having thimbles of silver and copper ment in some cases that you had money to afford them. There may be other goodies just waiting to be found....... Good luck going back !

The Seeker

Thanks Seeker.
Heck no, I don't want my boss tagging along. I may bury him in a hole! :o ;D

The folks that had this property were pretty well off, so I've found some very nice things over the last year here. One of the relatives was a big wig in politics, one was a doctor, and one was the dean of the local University. There is over 160 acres here. I'm not sure who lived on this property before, but there was definitely an old house at one time before the 1930's house there now. I've found a lot of the old stone foundation pieces, and there is a cemetery on the property with at least 40 graves. None have headstones, only a big chunk of natural stone at the head of each. Very interesting property for sure.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back