todays hunt possible meteor pic

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 4444.jpg
    4444.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 686
Upvote 0
Sorry to report looks like slag, maybe silver slag though, who knows. (silver will tarnish black after all) Could be melted plumbing silver solder or a melted 1916-D Merc.

The vast majority of meteorites recovered are the nickel/iron variety as opposed to the stonies...metal detectors won't sound off on stony ones. The nickel irons are magnetic, even if only slightly, test with high power rare earth magnent. Raw nickel also tends to tarnish into the reds and pinks, like clad coins.

Still could be space rock of other metal composition though, those are just super rare...the absolute test is to take to an expert who will slice it open, polish and etch the rock with acid to reveal xtal structure inside.

see if it is attracted to a magnet. I read that any iron meteorite will be attracted to a magnet

I never figured out meteors (meteorites?) but I read they are often magnetic and are unusually heavy.

I thought this post would be photo of the night sky... ;)

edit - If it doesn't contain iron as you say then it's probably not a meteorite.

The appearance is consistent with a meteorite. Don't get your hopes up though. Nearly ALL meteorites will react on a metal detector. The vast majority of stony meteorites contain a significant percentage of iron. The only meteorites that won't react are some lunar, martian, achondrite, & maybe some chondrites.

You can file off a corner and look inside. If it has metal flecks it's probably an ordinary chondrite. It could be a small iron meteorite. If it is a meteorite it's nearly certain there are several more in the area.

nuggetshooter.com has a good meteorite section in their forums.

it is not magnetic a magnet will not pick it up nor will the stone atract metal
it is kinda light like aluminum but not aluminum.
i scratched the edge with a knife several times to get through the black and it is shiny inside like the color of silver.
i dont believe it is slag no reson for a fire to ever have been built where it was found.
However
i was detecting over a bunch of 50 cent piece sized rocks and smaller next to a rock cliff face when i hit it
the rocks all came from the cliff face wich was solid rock.
i know they accasionaly find nuggets of platnum around here with detectors but is platenum heavy or light.
this material is very hard

plat is seriously heavy, heavier than gold or lead, doesn't tarnish ever.

I found lots of stuff that had absolutely no reason being where I found it. Base of cliff junk would also include anything the fell off the top or got washed over the edge. As cliff face weathers away surface stuff falls down.

If plat nuggets found in this spot by previous hunters it's a sure bet they packed in more than their skivies.

Fires not always made by people either, forest fires happen naturally without intervention of cigarette butts sometimes.

Rather than looking at this as not belonging, maybe look at it as a clue to something else...could there be a nearby campsite you never suspected? A refining operation? A rail line? Mule trail?

I often find "bud nuggets" in the woods...aluminum can tossed in camp fire, melts and makes nuggets...nuggets can be very hard, for aluminum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back