Today's Finds 11/26/2023

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a couple hours in the 1700's home field again today. I had decided to work the area where the barn was. Again, tons of trash. After about an hour, I went back to the car and emptied all the can slaw from my pouch and tried to regroup. I decided to walk out to where the original early 1700's house was on top of the ridge. I found the depression where the small one room home stood and started swinging. More trash! I have a 5-gallon pail nearly filled with can slaw since last Wednesday (11-22-23).

I don't mind telling you, I was getting grumpy. I made my way down the other side of the slope away from both home sites and found myself in the middle of the field. I started swinging and hit a 49 on the Legend (LG28 today). It showed fairly deep. Popped the plug and out fell a round disc. I thought awesome, another old coin. I picked it up and realized it was a clad quarter (1967). Well, it had been about 3 hours since I arrived, and I thought what a great time to end the day.

I swung on the way back to the car and hit a shallow 28 signal. It was some kind of tag that had "WOOD FUME" stamped in it. A few feet later another 28. Same damn tag. A few more feet and another 28. Holy crap, another of the same tag. Next signal was iron almost on the surface. It was a railroad spike. Then another high tone, again close to the surface. This time a horseshoe fragment? High tone? The shoe seemed light, maybe aluminum? Next was a piece of lead, then a snap, then a crumpled copper tube.

By now I was back to the car and scratching my head. This field has been a real roller coaster ride. It's tough swinging with 2-foot-high corn stalks in most areas, and it's loaded with can slaw. I haven't even covered 5% of the total acreage. Do I keep going or just give up? I get my IM45 15"x17" coil for the Impact tomorrow. I'll spend a few days swinging that over my yard while deciding if I will return to the corn field from can slaw hell.

IMG_20231126_185232837_WM.jpgIMG_20231126_185259165_WM.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Upvote 8
Looks like the tags are pole tags to let workers know what the pole has been treated with. I gather in this case the poles are untreated with just wood fumes.

Well that would be a tad frustrating digging can slaw all day.
Certainly have to wonder way so much of it there.
Corn stalks are a challenge for the best sites even.
Your situation I would back burner it till its worked, or back in beans.

Yes hunts like this can be quite frustrating. But if you're finding trash items, I think there would be some goodies hiding in the soil too. I usually give a site two or three chances before I call it quits. Just never know.

I spent a couple hours in the 1700's home field again today. I had decided to work the area where the barn was. Again, tons of trash. After about an hour, I went back to the car and emptied all the can slaw from my pouch and tried to regroup. I decided to walk out to where the original early 1700's house was on top of the ridge. I found the depression where the small one room home stood and started swinging. More trash! I have a 5-gallon pail nearly filled with can slaw since last Wednesday (11-22-23).

I don't mind telling you, I was getting grumpy. I made my way down the other side of the slope away from both home sites and found myself in the middle of the field. I started swinging and hit a 49 on the Legend (LG28 today). It showed fairly deep. Popped the plug and out fell a round disc. I thought awesome, another old coin. I picked it up and realized it was a clad quarter (1967). Well, it had been about 3 hours since I arrived, and I thought what a great time to end the day.

I swung on the way back to the car and hit a shallow 28 signal. It was some kind of tag that had "WOOD FUME" stamped in it. A few feet later another 28. Same damn tag. A few more feet and another 28. Holy crap, another of the same tag. Next signal was iron almost on the surface. It was a railroad spike. Then another high tone, again close to the surface. This time a horseshoe fragment? High tone? The shoe seemed light, maybe aluminum? Next was a piece of lead, then a snap, then a crumpled copper tube.

By now I was back to the car and scratching my head. This field has been a real roller coaster ride. It's tough swinging with 2-foot-high corn stalks in most areas, and it's loaded with can slaw. I haven't even covered 5% of the total acreage. Do I keep going or just give up? I get my IM45 15"x17" coil for the Impact tomorrow. I'll spend a few days swinging that over my yard while deciding if I will return to the corn field from can slaw hell.

View attachment 2117367View attachment 2117368

Thanks for looking...
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Yes hunts like this can be quite frustrating. But if you're finding trash items, I think there would be some goodies hiding in the soil too. I usually give a site two or three chances before I call it quits. Just never know.
Yeah, the goodies are hidden in the iron patches. There are spots behind where the home once sat that are loaded with iron signals. I can't even ground balance there with all the signals. That's where the 1822 Matron came from. The iron is also hiding lots of can slaw. This area is where I thought the Manticore would shine. Guess I need to get it back there and just work the iron patch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back