Today”s finds! Xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
We set out with high hopes today… the field on todays list, has a Roman villa, roman farming, and is next to a roman road…😎…. And yet it was one of the quietest fields we have ever been in! Not a single piece of lead… 🤔 ground was irony.. but lots of natural.. as in when u put ur pinpointer on the ground it goes off..

But, fear not i did find a huge Sestertius!
5 pre dec coins, a musket ball, 1 button, a pen knife, another small coin, (not got an id yet) and a piece of worked flint!!

So not a great day for finds, but we had a lovely time in the fields as ever xx

IMG_4062.jpeg
IMG_4065.jpeg
IMG_4068.jpeg
IMG_4071.jpeg
IMG_4060.jpeg
IMG_4061.jpeg
IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4047.jpeg

Upvote 23
I can just visualize that flint clamped between the jaws of a flintlock hammer. Neat find. I'm sure there were lots of them lost on both sides of the Atlantic but they are so small and pebble-like that we don't see them often. I have found several flint nodules on our sites, many with pieces broken off them. I mentioned that to an archaeologist in the area an he said "Those are imports from England. They are common around our colonial-era households. They made gun flints from them."

I was a little surprised, Blossom, that you, a Britisher and in the home of the real penny, called the US cent a "penny". I think they are actually more the size of a farthing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back