Today”s finds! Xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
We set out with high hopes today… the field on todays list, has a Roman villa, roman farming, and is next to a roman road…😎…. And yet it was one of the quietest fields we have ever been in! Not a single piece of lead… 🤔 ground was irony.. but lots of natural.. as in when u put ur pinpointer on the ground it goes off..

But, fear not i did find a huge Sestertius!
5 pre dec coins, a musket ball, 1 button, a pen knife, another small coin, (not got an id yet) and a piece of worked flint!!

So not a great day for finds, but we had a lovely time in the fields as ever xx

IMG_4062.jpeg
IMG_4065.jpeg
IMG_4068.jpeg
IMG_4071.jpeg
IMG_4060.jpeg
IMG_4061.jpeg
IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4047.jpeg

Upvote 23
That's some nice finds for a slow day -- or any other kind of day. Nice digging!

Yes unless my eyes deceive me, it looks like a 1936 one cent. We refer to that style as "wheat cent" because of the design on the reverse.
Wow, you can read that date 😲 I can't. 👓

I'm always struck by how differently coins--particularly "coppers"--come out of the ground from various locations and soil types.

I know the reasons & variables; they just don't alter the "Wow factor" for me. 😁

Not a single piece of lead… 🤔
a musket ball,
Then what was the musket ball made of? 🤔

No doubt that’s a gun flint. Always nice to find one of those.
I wouldn't have known that, and probably wouldn't have noticed it. 🙁 Still so much to learn.

I'm a little curious how the flint got noticed. Surface find? Just happened to be in a hole with something else?

Wow, you can read that date 😲 I can't. 👓

I'm always struck by how differently coins--particularly "coppers"--come out of the ground from various locations and soil types.

I know the reasons & variables; they just don't alter the "Wow factor" for me. 😁

Then what was the musket ball made of? 🤔

I wouldn't have known that, and probably wouldn't have noticed it. 🙁 Still so much to learn.

I'm a little curious how the flint got noticed. Surface find? Just happened to be in a hole with something else?
Ok musket ball is lead, what I meant is usually we get loads of lead lumps and offcuts, blobs etc..

I am always looking for pottery as I walk… so saw the flint and picked it up. 😊

So not a great day for finds, but we had a lovely time in the fields as ever xx

Not a great day for finds? To use a British phrase...are you daft? If I was ever to find even one (1) of those coins, it would the best thing I ever found.
woot-035.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back